Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not keep bees, hubby is allergic! However, I do use beeswax in some of the products I make. I was buying beeswax through Amazon, but the best price was $8/pound. Then I found out it was bleached to get that pretty white! I process my products as minimally as possible. In finding local beeswax, Arizona, it is all dark . I need to know how to purify, and lighten the beeswax I am getting raw. I bought 35 pounds of raw wax and I'm trying to clarify it. Having some interesting issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Betsy! Try to find beeswax processed through a solar melter or very low heat so it is not scorched.
I was given a chunk of 35 lbs. and it didn't float on the water. I am removing any blackish pieces. What is a solar melter? I live in Phoenix,AZ, so could I just leave it out in the summer in a big pot with some water in it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
You could try the pot. Put a little water in the bottom of the pot, add the wax, then place a sheet of glass over the top of it and leave it for a few hours. The clean wax should rise to the top and any gunk will stay on the bottom and can be scraped off after the wax has cooled. If it is really gunky try placing it in an old pair of panty hose to contain the gunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try the pot. Put a little water in the bottom of the pot, add the wax, then place a sheet of glass over the top of it and leave it for a few hours. The clean wax should rise to the top and any gunk will stay on the bottom and can be scraped off after the wax has cooled. If it is really gunky try placing it in an old pair of panty hose to contain the gunk.
What a great idea with the pantyhose! My beeswax is dark brown, and I do mean DARK! How can I lighten it up? Another question, do I label the product with beeswax as to where the beeswax came from?
What are the little white spots forming on the top?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Betsy, your wax may be naturally dark, and/or it may contain honey which makes it look dark.

I don't bleach my wax, but I do use a solar wax melter and find that the wax does lighten a bit, not a lot, but a bit, when run through the SWM.

If the color is dark due to honey, you will find that the honey will separate out while in the SWM. The wax will float to the top of the water in your pot, any gunk will likely stick to the bottom of your wax, to be scraped off later, and the honey will stay in the water. When you pour off the water, the honey will go with it.

I don't get much honey in my wax because I let the bees clean the cappings before I process them. However, I did recently purchase 200 pounds of wax from the estate of a deceased beekeeper/candlemaker. Some of the wax had not been completely cleaned, and I was disappointed to see how much honey was in it when I started melting it :( I am currently selling my refined wax for $9/pound, or, in Sept/Oct I have a special for friends and followers on FB for $7/pound. I consider it a good price considering the amount of labor I will have in it by the time I get it all cleaned and ready for candlemaking or cosmetics making.

If the wax is very dirty, or contaminated, you might have to repeat the process 2-3 times to get it as clean as you want it to be.

Can't help with labeling, sorry.

Not sure about white spots on your wax. Could be mold? Or, possibly bloom, which is natural in beeswax and does not hurt anything. I never see bloom in/on my raw wax, only on candles or refined wax which has been sitting for awhile (just found a few blocks of wax in a box in my basement which has probably been there for 5-6 years. Those blocks have a powdery coating on the outside, which is the bloom). If it is bloom you could leave it, or wipe it off with a damp cloth. Actually, I would wipe it off before processing your wax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts