Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure that my first year Italians (started from nuc in may) are going to make it thru the winter - good weather year but SHB and varroa seeming to take its toll.

No appearence of catasrophic hive disease, such as foul brood, moths - just not appear to be thriving well.

Should I requeen first of year and package (hoping for some survivors thru the winter) or begin all over? Can I revive this colony - best suggestions please so I can prepare.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey, neighbor. Dunwoody here. My best friend is a part time firefighter for Roswell FD.

I had a hive that was almost exactly as you described. I requeened too late I think. About a week and a half after I requeened I checked and they must have flown to Miami for the winter...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It may be too late to requeen. If they make it, good, if not... well...
I had three colonies going into last year. 1 Italian; 2 from B. Weaver, their "survivor" stock. The Italians died late this past winter, Weaver's bees are still going strong. I have since built up to 14 h ives, all various shades of survivor stock and 2 Russian colonies. I won't buy non-survivor types any more.

But, ymmv.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 3 of 3 Posts