Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just over at a friends, and one of his hives lost it's queen, but is still working. Workers with pollen and nectar are coming and going adding to the hive, but there is no queen in the hive that we can see. Is there an easy way to move frame of eggs over to the hive and have the workers make it into a queen? there is only one queen in each of 5 hives right now so we don't want to take a queen from another unless that's what we should.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Take a frame of 1-4day old eggs & place it in the hive that has no queen! Give it a week & inspect for queen cells. If you see no queen cells you will need to give the hive another frame of 1-4 day old eggs! If there is capped queen cells then there will be a virgin queen within approx 8 more days. The process takes approx 16 days and thats if the first frame of eggs that you transfered to the queenless hive takes. Then once there is a virgin queen she has to go on mating flights and thats approx 2 weeks..So your looking at about 30-31days approx to have a mated queen! You also need to remember that sometimes the queen doesnt make it back to the hive, she is either killed (birds do eat bees) or she got lost during the flight. In this case your back to the beginning again! Sometimes its best to purchase a mated queen, alot quicker for sure! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so the fastest might be to just let it die and get a swarm from the local guild. That should have a mature queen and more workers than are there now.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Why would you just let it die if you had the excess to another hive in order to "atleast" give a frame of 1-4 day old eggs?? I would check the hive again to see if there is a queen, i would also check for eggs as well and check for queen cells! If you dont find any of the above, then give it a frame that has 1-4 day old eggs so they can atleast produce a queen and not die out!
P.S.-Alot of times when a hive is bringing in pollen, they are working good & nectar is coming in, that Is "usually" a good sign! Thats why i suggested to atleast check again! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We checked 3 times. No Queen, no eggs, no Brood, just bees coming and going. They are filling up about 2 frames. Might try to add the bees to one of the other hives, but seeing as it takes about 2 months for a queen to hatch and come back and start laying, and we are catching swarms now that have laying queens, it seems faster and more secure to start with a new swarm. Say that we move the eggs over, and then the queen is born, and the queen takes off, there won't be any bees left for her to come back to since they are already 2 months old. Catching a queen and 5k workers and adding them to the hive is a faster and safer choice. Right?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
We checked 3 times.
Over what period of time? I know that I've 'jumped the gun' more times than I like to confess. You may want to give them a couple more weeks....just to be certain.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would add a frame of eggs or small larve first. See if they build queen cells. Then you can add sealed brood every week
after that. Check out Micheal Bushes site. He has a procedure he calls a panacea. It's to fix queenless issues, suppress laying
workers until they can make their own queen. If they don't need a queen, it won't hurt them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long do you suspect your hive has been queenless? If there is absolutely no brood, not even older pupae, then that hive has been queenless for at least a couple weeks. It only takes 3 weeks to make a queen and have her mated and laying, it doesn't take 2 months. But that's if the bees make a queen. If the hive is very small, I may just combine them with another hive. If the hive is large, I would definitely try to purchase a mated queen and that would solve your problem. I would purchase a mated queen even if the hive was small though, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are only 3 frames of deep that have bees on them. It is only one box high, and the guy said that he checked a few weeks ago and didn't see anything and we checked again last weekend and neither of us saw any eggs, queen cells, drones, or anything else. All we saw were some workers bringing in pollen, which is what all the other hives are doing also. We talked about it and think that the paper combine, if it makes it till we get a swarm, will be best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts