Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives that I need to relocate about 45 minutes away from where they are now. They are both large hives with full double brood boxes and one has a super on it currently. They are apimaye hives, so the boxes are latched together and I can seal the entrances off no problem, so the actual picking up and moving of the hive should be easier than a traditional wooden hive. However there are always a decent amount of bees bearding all night. Is there a way to get them all inside at night before I close it off? Will smoking them at night push them inside or just cause chaos?

·
Registered
434 Posts
You need a red light headband or lantern (they will come at you if you are using white light). Go out at night and use heavy smoke, this should drive the bees into the hives. It may take a while but keep smoking them periodically. There will be some stubborn bees that fly around and refuse to go inside. You have to judge when it is time to block the entrance.

This is a helpful video, pay attention to all the smoke they generate. They do not block the entrances, they just put a net over the whole load.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you have a flexible schedule wait for rain. Mine still beard in passing showers but if I get a good overcast rain-all-day type of day, most bees are inside. A little smoke drives the stragglers in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Run a sprinkler to make them think it's raining. Or use a pump sprayer to mist them down lightly until the run inside. Same method works to halt robbing behavior.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
All valid suggestions. Here are a couple more: just move them with the stubborn bees hanging on for the ride. If there will be hives remaining in this location, you can blow them off with a leaf blower to make the hives easier to handle. They will beg into the other hives. J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips! It needs to be done on one of two nights next weekend so I will go with the red light and smoke and hopefully get most of them inside. There wont be any hives left over for any leftovers to drift to, so that's why I want to try to get them all.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
What are you going to do to help prevent overheating during the move? Do you have top screens? When you say you can seal the entrance, how do you do that? How hot is it expected to be, and what type vehicle will you be moving them in?

·
Registered
434 Posts
What are you going to do to help prevent overheating during the move? Do you have top screens? When you say you can seal the entrance, how do you do that? How hot is it expected to be, and what type vehicle will you be moving them in?
I looked up Apimaye hives . They have fancy entrances so you can ventilate the hive:
As long as he moves them early they should be OK. he said it was only 45 minutes away.

I might try one of those hives, they look interesting.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
The reason I was asking him those questions was because I killed a very strong hive making a 45 minute move one 4th of July night. I left the entrance open, but I didn't use a top screen because it was going to be a short move.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The reason I was asking him those questions was because I killed a very strong hive making a 45 minute move one 4th of July night. I left the entrance open, but I didn't use a top screen because it was going to be a short move.
Hopefully he will give them plenty of ventilation. I moved a Langstroth today with 1/4 inch hardware cloth sealing the entrance for 30 miles, the temp was 73F this morning. They seemed fine 2 hours later. They had sealed off the hole in the top super.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My hives have serious bearding at sunset but by sunrise, most bees have moved inside. My suggestion is to move them in early morning.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
503 Posts
I have 2 hives that I need to relocate about 45 minutes away from where they are now. They are both large hives with full double brood boxes and one has a super on it currently. They are apimaye hives, so the boxes are latched together and I can seal the entrances off no problem, so the actual picking up and moving of the hive should be easier than a traditional wooden hive. However there are always a decent amount of bees bearding all night. Is there a way to get them all inside at night before I close it off? Will smoking them at night push them inside or just cause chaos?
If you have any weak hives then I would move your bees then set a weak hive in its old position. All those foragers will go right into the weak hive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked up Apimaye hives . They have fancy entrances so you can ventilate the hive:
As long as he moves them early they should be OK. he said it was only 45 minutes away.

I might try one of those hives, they look interesting.
They are very well built, incredibly insulated and have many ways of adding ventilation. The bottom boards slide right out of the back and open up the whole base for screened ventilation as well as the dials on the fronts of the boxes. Lids have built in vents as well. You'll love it.

I'll be moving the hives either at night after I seal them up or early morning. Highs are only supposed to be in the mid 70s next week so they should be fine...they are going in the back of my truck for a 45 min drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts