Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a couple of 5 frame nucs. I have two new queens in cages. I will be taking frames of brood - both capped and at least one with eggs and larva as well as one of honey and one frame of foundation.

What is the best way to introduce and release the new queens?

I was planning to keep her caged within the new nucs for a couple of days before removing the cork and letting the bees release her.

Any other ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like you got it under control. Your method should be safe.

I personally dont keep the cork on. I make the nuc and then put the cage in and remove the cork on the candy end all at the same time. I raise a bunch of queens so I always have extra in case one gets rejected so i'm less careful. But I usually still get almost a perfect acceptance rate with nucs.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Does the nuc need to be queenless for any length of time before introducing the queen cage?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does the nuc need to be queenless for any length of time before introducing the queen cage?
Its best to introduce the queen the next day after making the nuc but I often introduce a caged queen the same time I make the nucs with great success. Mainly because of the lack of time I have with the bees.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I want to make a couple of 5 frame nucs. I have two new queens in cages. I will be taking frames of brood - both capped and at least one with eggs and larva as well as one of honey and one frame of foundation. ...planning to keep her caged within the new nucs for a couple of days before removing the cork and letting the bees release her.
Best is a matter of opinion. In mine, yours is right there.:thumbsup::)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the push in cages because it allows the queen to move around and get started laying right away. I think it's better in general to minimize the amount of time that a mated queen cannot lay eggs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts