Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a swarm to pick up in the morning if its still there! I just started 2 hives these last 2 weeks and i have a Observation TBH that i built just in case i come across a swarm. Now if the swarm is still there and everything goes good, i will be placing the swarm in the observation top bar hive. The first 6 frames i waxed in place some wax foundation just to give them something to start on and then the rest of the bars are grooved with popcicle sticks and a bead of beeswax. Thats pretty much all i have to offer the swarm to get started in the TBH. Since the sides of the hive are angled and the bottom is screened i was thinking about placing a piece of flat board inside and putting 1:1 sugar syrup in a zip lock bag. I have a top bar hive feeder but it wont fit since my sides are angled and the top lid there is only so much room before you reach the top bars. I could place the bag on top of the bars but then i say i would have alot of burr comb under the lid when i go to open it up! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I made an extra follower board for my top bar hives. I then cut a notch out on the bottom so I could use an entrance feeder inside the hive. Then again, since they are filled up, you may just need to put them in the hive, with starter strips, and they might just like this new home.
This is my third year and although not as experienced as many here are, my hives haven't really wanted to much syrup this time of year, even my swarms.
I think your idea for using the baggie feeder is a good one.
Robee

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I just got home and now i have about an inch thick of honey bees on the under side of all 5 frames in the swarm box. They told me that there was alot more last night but some of them must of took off. I have 6 top bars with comb foundation right now. I will install them in the TBH with those 6 bars and about 5-6 just with popcicle sticks beaded with beeswax. I will make some more with foundation later on. Right now they are working the foundation inside the swarm box like crazy! Im hoping just to lift the bars and place them in the TBH...i didnt use any smoke at all today. But i finally got my first "sting" today. I got stung one time and it was up in under my shirt some how...hahaha..OUCHY!!!...:D

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I would place them in the TBH by simply dumping them in. Just shake the bees off the frames into the TBH.

An easy way to feed a TBH is to place a Boardman feeder inside the hive, at the end of the hive opposite the cluster of bees. (so they don't build comb onto the feeder.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts