Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up some Nucs from a buddy of mine and will be putting them into my own hive bodies at his place before taking them to my yard. I have never moved bees like this before and was wondering the best way to do it? I though about just putting some screen over the top and the entrance of them to keep the bees inside and then placing them in the back of my pickup without a cover. This will be done early in the morning around 6:30ish. Is this a good way or is there a better way in which to move them? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't know what your A.M. temperature might be, but I think you should put a top on the box. The bees need to maintain a certain temp for the brood to survive if it's too cool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use screen across the entrance, and just a normal top cover. Be sure to use a ratchet strap to hold your hive together. I prefer to carry in the back of my suv, because I don't have to worry about sliding around. Of course the back of a truck works fine, just strap it in place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AM temps are around 75-80 usually, not much cool down at night. That makes good sense about the brood temperature, I didn't think about that but just using a screen on the entrance and a normal top cover also makes sense.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Depends on how many bees are in the nuc and how much time they will be closed. Having had a several hives melt down overnight with only screens over the entrances, I no longer take a chance in the summer. At 80 degrees the brood won't have any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts