Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a removal yesterday. Turned out to be a dead out, but there were copious amounts of honey sill there.

I guess first I should ask if those of you that do removals do anything with the honey. Presuming you do.

If you do, do you crush and strain the goods? If not what's a better way?

TIA

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I'd say crush and strain would be easiest. I just get one of those filter bags for a paint can or something, put the comb in, mash it up then hang it over a jar or bucket depending on how much you start with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Crush and strain, like JRG13 said, long term, the two part metal strainers for honey are nice, they sit well right on the top of a five gallon bucket, bowl or pot.

JC

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
That reminds me green, mannlake sells plastic strainers that fit over 5 g buckets now too, never noticed before. Not too sturdy looking but do the trick.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it is a live removal, I wait until the bees that I have removed get going and seem healthy then I feed it back to them. I place it above the inner cover with an empty hive body over it and let them move it down. If any of it seems open and not cured I just pitch it. It has usually soured by the time I feed it back.
I never save it for my own consumption or sell any that comes from a removal. I personally just don't take anyones word that they haven't sprayed the hive trying to get rid of it.
JMTC
Joe

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am in the process of a trapout in my house (about half way through with queen now relocated). Each time I get near the entrance to the old hive, the smell from inside is pretty strong. I'm afraid this will affect the taste of the honey even if I allow my bees to rob the honey once all the feral bees are gone. Does anyone ever just let the bees remove the honey and is there any concern with the old hive smell affecting the taste of honey once bees have transported it to a hive? I watched them swarm in a couple years ago so I know the feral bees in the house have not been sprayed. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I don't ever think it is a good idea to harvest honey for consumption from a cutout, and I would not feed it to any bees either. I just dispose of it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I take a spare 5 and drill a butch of holes in it one inches or bigger. To support strainer bag. Then cut most of the center out of the lid. Like all but a inch. Put the lid on a good bucket. And strain through the holed bucket. Clamp the bag or it will fall in.
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts