Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 50 frames of new foundation that I want my 3 hives to draw out as fast as possible. I plan on feeding sugar water but was wondering what else I can do to stimulate comb building.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Place them between drawn frames in the brood nest while feeding. It will get them moving pretty quick. That is what i've done so far and it works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a foam paint brush and add a couple coats of melted BEES wax over plastic foundation. This really gets my girls going, also I really don't have any issues with them building jacked up comb when adding extra wax. Along with (drlonzo suggestion) will get you where you want to be fairly quickly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Place them between drawn frames in the brood nest while feeding. It will get them moving pretty quick. That is what i've done so far and it works great.
So then perhaps a few stupid questions from me:
I thought we're (beeks) not to "break up" a working brood nest, for example with moving or adding frames?
And if you did add foundation frames into a brood nest and the bees draw out comb, won't the queen come along and lay in them? Is dweber just trying to get frames
drawn out with some good clean fresh comb?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm more concerned about getting it drawn out. Once they draw it out I can move it around where I want it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So then perhaps a few stupid questions from me:
I thought we're (beeks) not to "break up" a working brood nest, for example with moving or adding frames?
And if you did add foundation frames into a brood nest and the bees draw out comb, won't the queen come along and lay in them? Is dweber just trying to get frames
drawn out with some good clean fresh comb?
Good point on the queen laying them up, and YES she will do so. Once she does you move the comb again either above a queen excluder or if making splits, use it in them.

As for breaking up the brood nest. That is something BeeKeepers always do until late in the season if you want to get more frames pulled out. Moving the frames around doesn't bother them too much at all till late in the year when they start to organize the hive for winter use. Storing up honey on the outside frames, upper frames, etc. Then it wouldn't be a very good thing to move them around on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts