Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It this such a thing as a best swarm trap or best practices of swarm traps and attractants?

Anthony

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can't speak from experience, but from all the reading and watching I have done it sems there are "more optimal" things you can do, but some guys stick a nuc in a tree and catch a swarm on a rainy day. I think anything *can* work, but there are things that are a bit more optimal that can raise your chances. Some people swear by swarm commander some have never used it. Deeps, nucs, purpose built traps, flower pots, up high down low, south east west and straight up. Seems people can catch a swarm almost anywhere in almost anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best way is to put a few out and try. SE Iowa here and 8 swarm boxes out for 4 weeks now. 1 for 8 so far. 3 more have scouts checking. I'll replace the box with the swarm and try for number 2 at this location.
Location is the best thing to increase your odds of success. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It this such a thing as a best swarm trap or best practices of swarm traps and attractants?

Anthony
Anthony:

Here is a good website that outlines many of the 'best practices' concerning swarm trapping. It is getting late for swarms here in the South, but it is never too late to get ready for next year:

http://letmbee.com/

Good luck!

Russ

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Anthony
Use a wooden trap with a volume of about forty liters. Put foundationless frames in it with one frame of drawn comb one frame from the back. Use a round entrance 1.25" in diameter located about ⅓ of the way up from the bottom, or ⅔ of the way down from the top -- your choice. Hang it so that it is about as high as you can easily reach. Use four drops of lemongrass oil, no more! Place it along the edge of a wooded area beside a field within a few hundred yards of a waterway bordered by woodlands. Face the entrance southeast. In your area, put the traps up by the Ides of March. Visit Waxahatchie when you can.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,048 Posts
used equipment, is almost a must.
I would put bees in the swarm trap , in a month put them in the next one etc, to "prime" them.
1 or 2 old black/dark combs
I use Swarm commander, 35 buck well spent, 2 squirts bottle last all season.

I just use a old deep 10 frame or a deep and medium 8 frame. the most beat up dark used with bur comb still attached to the sides, ones

elevated seems to work better.

good luck

GG

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
used equipment, is almost a must.
Gray, I haven’t noticed a difference between new equipment and used equipment, but I do put one frame of drawn comb in the trap. That’s not to say there’s not a difference; I’ve just never noticed it. Based on my experience, I’d favor the prospects of a new trap in a proven location a good bit over a well used trap in an unproven location.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone- great info - looks like I am a little late this year but will start prepping

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,048 Posts
Gray, I haven’t noticed a difference between new equipment and used equipment, but I do put one frame of drawn comb in the trap. That’s not to say there’s not a difference; I’ve just never noticed it. Based on my experience, I’d favor the prospects of a new trap in a proven location a good bit over a well used trap in an unproven location.
The old comb would then be the used equipment :) I was referring to a new wood freshly painted box with out comb just new foundationless frames. As in new keeper never had bees, does not have any "bee smelling" stuff. they will use it just if they can find a place with the better smells they prefer it.
So we kinda mean the same thing.

GG

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The old comb would then be the used equipment :) ........So we kinda mean the same thing.

GG
+1.

Until I got a hold of some "used equipment" - had zero success.
For new beeks - lean backwards but somehow get the used equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts