Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a new bee suit for summer. The cotton/poly economy suit I have from Mann Lake is just too hot. Does anyone have any recommedations between the Ultra-Breeze bee suit at $259 and the Mann Lake vented suit for $159.95. If they are close to the same I rather save the $100. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ultra Breeze is great and worth the money.

Mann Lake vented suit is cheaper in price and in quality (e.g. quality of zippers).

But I am not sure I would say that the Ultra Breeze is $100 better. If $100 is a big deal to you I think you would be happy with the Mann Lake version.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the Mann Lake one, and I'm really happy with it. The only thing I hate is the hood! It is REALLY narrow. My head is pushed against the back of it and my nose is almost touching the front. I try to V the front a little all the time to get the front away from my face all the time. It is thick enough that I have never been stung in the back of the head, but have been stung on the nose once.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My husband has a Mann Lake jacket and I just bought the Ultrabreeze suit. I bought my suit mainly based on BeeSource reviews. Can't say I was blown away when comparing them side-by-side. While I think the closure system and pockets on the UB suit are superior, I agree with Castletonhoney - IMO it's not worth the extra $$ if economy is important to you.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just ordered a BeeKool jacket from Blue Sky. I don't have it yet so that isn't much help. But, they do have free shipping on them.

Tom

·
Registered
516 Posts
I got mine from Hives and More out of Florida. Jacket and hood $80.00. Fits good and looks well made. This will be my first year with it and looking forward to not sweating so much.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am going to purchase a new bee suit for summer. The cotton/poly economy suit I have from Mann Lake is just too hot. Does anyone have any recommedations between the Ultra-Breeze bee suit at $259 and the Mann Lake vented suit for $159.95. If they are close to the same I rather save the $100. Thanks.
Check Mann Lakes discounted items. I bought an extra vented suit for $75. I have used my first one for two years and it should last two more years.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
While I think the closure system and pockets on the UB suit are superior, I agree with Castletonhoney - IMO it's not worth the extra $$ if economy is important to you.

Ultra Breeze is the best ventilated suit. Don't cheap out on your suit. If you are trying to be frugal buy a vail and use a hat.
A suit is when they are pissed and you need to work on them and they are stinging the crap out of you. Ultra breeze is the only way t go for you and them. I use both they both have their place.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Our high altitude sun gets brutal hot here in Denver in the summer.

I have an Ultrabreeze suit. I have never been stung through it, and I have never had a bee get into it. I wear it in complete confidence, and I am wuss about bee stings.

Can't say how it compares with other suits because this is the only suit I have owned. But I will buy the same again when this one wears out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have an ultra breeze jacket, and I have an extra vented jacket knock off for when I need a helper or for teaching. When it comes time to buy again for me, it will be ultra breeze. One notable difference as I live in Florida, is that the sleeves have Velcro tighteners instead of elastic. Here, rubber wears out much faster so I am sure these will last longer. I like the zippers better and how it goes together at the neck with the ultra breeze.

The differences are not huge, but they are enough for me that I will pay the extra to have a jacket I really love.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am going to order the Ultrabreeze suit. I rather spend more money and get the better suit up front. I need to be confident in my suit while working with the bees. My last few times I've gotten stung,my hands and or arms swelled up for 2 days. Luckily it doesn't affect my throat at all. I might want to start carrying an Epi pen just in case.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
ordered my ultrabreeze this morning and it's already been shipped. couldn't bear another summer with the unvented suit i've been using.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just recieved my BeeKool jacket from Blue Sky. It is very well made and looks like it should be cool and provide more protection from stings than a regular jacket.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
this may be too late, but I had the Golden bee suit, Ultra breeze, and Dadant. As I live in Florida it is hot 80% of year and I started many years ago with the regular cotton/poly suit. I almost died in hot days. So I move to ventilated suits, the Golden Bee first, and it was ok. For some reason switched to Ultra Breeze, and I loved the suit but it was pricey. So I got a Dadant Economy Ventilated suit, have to say the Dadant customer service was great, but I didn't like the suit, it "felt" cheap. I just ordered another Ultra Breeze suit, should be enough said that I went back to the Ultra Breeze, just had to convince myself you get what you pay for.

I have to give Dadant customer service kudos though. They shipped a jacket instead of a full suit. Once I called they replaced it. I am close to a warehouse (about 2hrs. drive) I received my new suit the next day I had just shipped the returning jacket. I am sure I got my suit before they got their returning jacket and literally the next day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
the hood on the Mann Lake vented suits are too narrow for me and the mesh comes back too far. I get stung in the face all the time throught he mesh on my face because the mesh gets against my skin. The ultrabreeze has a wider deeper hood i dont have that problem with it. I like the ultrabreeze better mainly foir that reason. But its a better made suit too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts