Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best and possibly the cheapest varroa treatment?

Can you recommend some good stores to buy it?
thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oxalic acid is definitely the cheapest. Best? I like it since it doesn't contaminate comb and doesn't seem to affect the bees all that much. The downside is it usually requires several applications.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Depends on the value of your time. I used to do Oxcalic acid but wasn't really happy with the results and hated having to come and repeat the treatment 3 separate weeks. It took 5 minutes per hive. At the time I had 20 hives. That was 5 hours not including drive time to and from. I switched to Apivar and have never looked back. It's about $15 per hive. Make sure there are not supers on there and I only put them on at the end of the season. I don't even check for mites. I know they're there as at the end of season you'll start seeing a few young bees with DWV.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Every situation is different and each treatment has its pros and cons. Oxalic acid is the cheapest but you have to do multiple treatments for good results except for a single treatment in mid-winter in the colder parts of the world. If you have 100 hives, it is a very poor choice. As D Coates stated, your time is worth something too. You also have to spend $100 to $500 (or more) on a vaporizer or do the trickle or spray method which is not recommended for multiple treatments. Apivar is more expensive but you put it in and treat for about 40 days. It works well but there are some unconfirmed reports about mites having resistance to it at this time. If you have a major infestation, it does not work fast enough (in my opinion) to bring the mite count down to acceptable levels. It is great for out yards because you do not have to keep coming back while the treatment is happening. You cannot legally use it with the supers on. MAQS and Formic Pro are also more expensive than oxalic acid but work faster than Apivar. You will do one or two treatments but you can have the supers on during the treatments. Queen loss has been reported with MAQS but I have not heard of the issue with Formic Pro. A badly infested hive may not be strong enough to handle the treatments and outside temperatures are vital to the treatment working properly. If it is too hot or too cold, don't use the product. Finally, protective gear is required for all of these treatments. Your health is more important than killing mites so please use these products wisely.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I switched to the provap 110 and its easy and quick.Downside is the cost of it.If you have over 20 hives its a real time and back saver.For the price of treating 35 double deeps hives with Apivar only once you can get a provap and you only have the small price of your oaxalic acid after that.An inverter for your vehicle makes it portable for your out yards then.Apivar is good for those with only a few hives but the provap suits me better for my needs.Now it a few cents per hive with my provap instead of a one time $15 per hive.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The OP only has a few hives. I think Apivar is the best treatment option in this situation. But, the treatment should have been done in August. Based on other posts by this person, an OAV treatment is what is needed now. So, a varrox wand, a battery, and a small container of OA is what they should be considering if they want their bees to have a chance. I believe one hive is already dead? And the others...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts