Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Kelly frame filler last year at an auction sale. I have not tried it yet but understand they work well. I plan to use it this spring for feeding, but I'm not sure of the best method to use. I would like to simulate a honey flow as much as possible, but we also have very cold nights in spring. (Well below freezing). I have heard that a frame or two of 1-1 syrup right into the brood nest is one of the best stimulants to get the queen laying.

I have also considered filling a box of frames and placing it below the brood nest. This would provide easy access, and simulate a flow as the sugar source will be coming from below the brood nest. I also like this idea because it will not create an empty space above the brood nest for the bees to heat.

What's everyone's thoughts, are these machines even worth using, or should I just drop a pail do 1-1 on top?

Luke

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I would certainly use it. Placing one of those wet frames next to the brood nest would stimulate a lot of food moving and bees handling food produce wax and other things needed for colony expansion. Under the brood nest would work too similarly. Time is the only thing it costs now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Vance, I'm interested to see how they take to the fresh syrup right in the hive. I also plan to use a frame of syrup directly beside my cell starter frame after grafting.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for best use of a frame filling machine?

Luke

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I think it would be good to use it, but make sure there is some open comb for the queen to lay in. Can you fill part of the cells, say an inch of cells at the top and at the bottom of the frame, and leave the center with empty cells? I would think that would be very effective.

·
Registered
245 Posts
When you decide to do it, rethink your adding in the brood nest area, you'll be backfilling for them and if you don't have much open comb you'll be encouraging them to swarm. Below them should not be as much of a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts