Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being swarm season, I want to buy a trail camera to capture pictures and video of a swarm coming in. Does anyone have any suggestions or cautions? What brands do you recommend, and what brands should be avoided?

I am most interested in being able to capture at least 5 minutes of video, along with a few pictures. Remote access via a smartphone would be a plus. I've surfed through previous posts, but these are mostly older.

Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
How far away from power and wifi will these cameras be? I have both at my apiary and I can use a security camera to check on my bees in real time. If your router has a 2.4 GHz wifi network, that can stretch a surprisingly long way. The remote cell phone upload can get pretty expensive, its like buying a new cell phone plan.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops, I misspoke. What I'm really looking for is to be able to access the images on the camera without having to open it. I will be standing within 20 feet of it. One will be located far from home, the other will be near my house, but too far for power.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
552 Posts
Whoops, I misspoke. What I'm really looking for is to be able to access the images on the camera without having to open it. I will be standing within 20 feet of it. One will be located far from home, the other will be near my house, but too far for power.
I was going to mention wildlife innovations. But you may need more of a bluetooth capable setup.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
We use the Wyze cams around the house and outside. The outside cameras are battery operated and last for months. As long as you're within distance of the hub they stream HD just fine. Our furthest one is 100+ feet from the hub. The indoor cameras don't need a hub but aren't waterproof and need usb power.

You can also set up motion alerts. Seems like it would do everything you need at a good price.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
552 Posts
Well it's been a while since I've checked wildgame innovations. They happen to have a bluetooth within 150 yards and cell service is not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Might want to read the reviews on that trail cam lol

To be clear, the wyze used your wifi network and didn't need cellular. Although some might?

Looks like there are a lot of options to choose from for whatever your specific needs are.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the input from everyone.

It has gotten much harder to sift through Amazon reviews. There are many comments criticizing the Chinese models. Are there any that aren't from China?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
552 Posts
Might want to read the reviews on that trail cam lol

To be clear, the wyze used your wifi network and didn't need cellular. Although some might?

Looks like there are a lot of options to choose from for whatever your specific needs are.
I really appreciate the input from everyone.

It has gotten much harder to sift through Amazon reviews. There are many comments criticizing the Chinese models. Are there any that aren't from China?
Wow, you don't see reviews that bad very often. Sorry Beek brother . But there are alot of trail cam companies. You would think even a cell phone would work as one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose I should post a quick review of the camera I finally settled on:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VRDFSNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a good camera for the price. $80 with Amazon coupon applied.
Pros: Good image quality. Intuitive interface. You can adjust picture resolution, time delay, number of photos, length of video, sensitivity, etc. The wifi will stay connected up to approximately 150 feet. So far, it has proven to be watertight.

Cons: Connecting to the wifi of the camera often takes a couple of tries. A nuisance, but not a deal-killer. I am using an iPhone 6s+, so that may have something to do with it.

I don't know how it would work with a swarm of bees, since none will cooperate and land on the targeted box. It has been invaluable in keeping tabs on some foxes living under my shed.

All in all, I would recommend the camera at this price point.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am looking to replace a cheap one the was a gift that died in a couple months due to water intrusion. I also found out the batteries have been banned because they are a fire hazard. Amazon still sells them. Buyer beware! J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts