Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I keep asking basic questions. I kinda hope this is what the 101 forum is all about, apologies if I am asking too many questions.

I have a three deep hive that I was hoping to split this Spring here in north/central New Jersey. The colony seems very healthy. The bees are active pulling in pollen on warm days. I checked the food stores over the weekend and added another feed patty. I am a newbie but it seems like have I have a very healthy population.

I have read about different types of splits here and in books, and I think I will try a walk away split and probably buy a mated queen for the new colony.

Can someone help me with the best timing for the split? I don't want to do it too early, but I am worried if I wait too long my colony will swarm.

Thanks in advance,

Alan In NJ

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discalimer. I have never made a split with a bought queen and am only a 3 year bee keeper. My opinion is that you can pretty much do it any time you want now that pollen is coming in if you are using a mated queen. You will need to feed the hive that is not sitting in the original spot due to the foragers that will fly back.
Good luck.
gww

1 - 2 of 2 Posts