Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started two nucs this spring in medium boxes. They have two boxes drawn out and filled and are started on the third. I am wondering when is the best time to split these colonies.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If they're going to raise their own queen, I'd do it now. If you're buying a queen, you can wait a while.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I started two nucs this spring in medium boxes. They have two boxes drawn out and filled and are started on the third. I am wondering when is the best time to split these colonies.
How many frames of brood are there in each nuc? If you have two good frames of brood and plenty of bees to go w/ them, split asap. No need to wait for anything other than a cpl queens.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I did splits in mid May using the Disselkoen method (remove queen, allow cells to be raised, divide cells into nucs). All five splits had a queen emerge and 4 successfully mated. Queen 5 is MIA. I would not have done splits, regardless of weather, if the resources to support the splits were not available. I happened to have a very populated, booming hive that could easily afford to donate stores without being set back.

There are some who say that summer solstice queens are the best that can be produced. It is possible that the weather and available forage at that time of year (June 21, Northern hemisphere) are best for mating and initial buildup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I know for me after July 1. I don't get as many nuc that make it through the winter. I am moving to Palmer double nuc.
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts