Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used the top feeders but this year had a need for a quick and easy bottom board feeder

its the new plastic type

Can you refill this without smoking?

when I first installed it they were very stirred up as I slowly slid it into the notch and into the hive

the next eve all the syrup was gone

I had some difficulty getting it out and getting bees off to refill it and reinstall

any hints or tips?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I may be new but I just went through this. I assume you are refering to the feeder pictured below. For me there was a little bit of the wood from the manufacturing process making it difficult to lift the jar and lid out. First I removes that little bit of wood. Then I just brought a new jar with perforated lid to the hive and lifted the empty one out and set it upright on the hive top. Set the new one in place and within a few minutes the bees on the old one had left.

Is that what you are talking about?

Curt

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its actually this type

same idea though

its just difficult to withdraw the entire device without stirring them up AND RE-inserting it

I dont wanna have to smoke them for this 2 minute operation if I dont have to

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Didn't they come with instructions? :rolleyes:

It's the little holes in the lids of the jars that allows one to just replace another jar without having the syrup all run out. You can't put a hole in the top with a cork because there would be no vacuum while filling.

I like them,. but put them on top of the hive inside another box. The bees often propolize the bottom to the top bars; a little difficult getting them loose sometimes,. not much. Try putting something; a piece of tin foil between tray and bottom board to make it a little easier to pull out, if that's what disturbs the bees. I would hope they don't come boiling out too much. Can you close the opening as you pull out the tray and reopen when replacing? It looks like you'll just have to wear gloves--protection,.. and do the best you can if you don't want to light up the smoker.

P.S. Have a spray bottle of 1 to 1 or less, of warm sugar syrup handy. :) Some beekeepers use that instead of a smoker.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no instructions came with

and its the new plastic kind

you can not refill them without removing the complete assembly
fill up the reservoir then flip the unit upside down and re insert it to the hive

so far my method is to pry it out with a long stick
let it fall to the ground then push it away from hive

refill then slide it in really slow and easy

Id hate to smoke them everytime I had to refill it

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Save yourself the headache and get a 2 gallon pail for a top feeder, or keep using that expensive little contraption that is causing you grief.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts