Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Best swarm prevention

908 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  MattDavey
What would everyone recommend for swarm prevention if you don’t have drawn comb to give them for space? I know just adding undrawn frames the bees don’t see that as more space.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,157 Posts

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi Nancy, good to hear from you.

I actually haven't experimented much with adding drawn comb beside the Broodnest.
Sometimes the Queen with lay in the empty comb, but I have seen quite a number of people post that the bees just filled the comb with nectar and pollen.

But with Partial (OSBN) frames, the Queen will usually lay eggs in the new comb as it is being built.

Have a look at this photo on the OSBN Thread from Clong:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47027&d=1553609712

Notice the capped Brood cells are in the new comb.

With drawn comb the Queen is dependant on the workers to clean and polish the cells ready for Brood rearing. But from Swarm Season on they are wanting to reduce the Broodnest.

With new comb the Queen will lay in it as it is being built, so is not dependant on workers (other than building the cell). You'll also notice that the workers don't start putting nectar in the cells until they are around half drawn. So Partial frames are more likely to have eggs laid in them. The Open Brood then helps to prevent Swarming.

I would use Partial (OSBN) frames. But you could always use a Partial (OSBN) frame on one side and a Drawn Frame on the other side of the Broodnest to compare the difference between the two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.