Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would everyone recommend for swarm prevention if you don’t have drawn comb to give them for space? I know just adding undrawn frames the bees don’t see that as more space.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
As I have replied before, though it's late in the season to begin, I would still recommending trying OSBN. What have you got to lose? Then keep doing 5-day tip-up checks for evidence of swarm preps and as a last resort deploy double screen boards, which are the most reliable very, very last minute swarm arresting splits.

And why not make it a priority to get your bees to draw extra combs every year?

Nancy

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I have replied before, though it's late in the season to begin, I would still recommending trying OSBN. What have you got to lose? Then keep doing 5-day tip-up checks for evidence of swarm preps and as a last resort deploy double screen boards, which are the most reliable very, very last minute swarm arresting splits.

And why not make it a priority to get your bees to draw extra combs every year?

Nancy
Yes and thanks. Just trying to keep them from swarming and don’t have lots of comb. I have 3 hives. I split one to help with the swarming. The other one I under supered with a 10 frame deep with hopes of getting them to draw it out and relive the swarming impulse but only had 2 frames of drawn comb to put in the new box. Would these frames be better served down in the bottom box on the side of the brood nest ?Noticed yesterday in this hive a queen cell with royal jelly. Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For the best explanation on how to do it, see Matt Davey's thread in the Beekeeping 101 section here on Beesource. It is the 2nd from the top in the listing. Great explanation and Matt is there every day to answer questions. It works very well.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
So, Matt, I have a question. I have recently been given the care of some colonies that are teetering on the edge of frank swarminess. I would much prefer not to have to split them (though I will, if all else fails). I have access to plenty of drawn comb, so that's not a problem. But I was thinking of throwing in some OSBN frames at the edges of the brood nest, in addition to the drawn comb. Is there any point to trying that, as well?

I have always used OSBN, routinely, even in my triple 10-frame deeps (which after a 5-month long Northeastern US winter have ample frames of empty drawn comb to play with). But I always start the process a month earlier than it it is now.

Any suggestions?

Nancy

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
One practice that will typically head off swarming is to replace the queen. Hives headed by young queens are less likely to swarm. The younger the queen....the less likely i.e. a newly mated 2019 queen would be the best.
You can pinch the old queen or make a two frame split taking the old queen with the split.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hi Nancy, good to hear from you.

I actually haven't experimented much with adding drawn comb beside the Broodnest.
Sometimes the Queen with lay in the empty comb, but I have seen quite a number of people post that the bees just filled the comb with nectar and pollen.

But with Partial (OSBN) frames, the Queen will usually lay eggs in the new comb as it is being built.

Have a look at this photo on the OSBN Thread from Clong:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47027&d=1553609712

Notice the capped Brood cells are in the new comb.

With drawn comb the Queen is dependant on the workers to clean and polish the cells ready for Brood rearing. But from Swarm Season on they are wanting to reduce the Broodnest.

With new comb the Queen will lay in it as it is being built, so is not dependant on workers (other than building the cell). You'll also notice that the workers don't start putting nectar in the cells until they are around half drawn. So Partial frames are more likely to have eggs laid in them. The Open Brood then helps to prevent Swarming.

I would use Partial (OSBN) frames. But you could always use a Partial (OSBN) frame on one side and a Drawn Frame on the other side of the Broodnest to compare the difference between the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts