Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What commercial traps are the best?

My homemade ones with aluminum half-sheet trays cost about $12 each to make but do not cover the entire bottom.

With some hives currently head high and maybe going higher yet, I wonder if the open-design of oil traps can support 300 pounds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I put the tray in the hive stand - with access from the rear.
the biggest problem is getting a good fit between the tray and the bottom of the SBB to keep bees out of it (wood butcher I am, I don't do a lot of close tolerance stuff)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We finally got a good table saw so the problem now is just getting the design right.

My pans also push in from the back and fit pretty tight.

The #8 mesh screens are catching a lot of small beetles but there are a few really big'uns. No way they would go through it.

Wondering if #6 would catch more or if too many bees would get through.....It seems hard to get in small quantities.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Freeman's traps are good. Where did you get your pans?
I purchased some trays from Freeman and built my own frame and used #7 cloth. I think some bees would get through #6.

Really need to find a cheap source for the tray.

Chigger

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 3 of freeman's and like them.

They have ONE downside: varmints will open the trays up to get at the cooking oil. This has happened to all of mine, the darn thing even scratched the hive body and bottom board trap up when I put screen door latches on the back of the hives to prevent the varmints from interfering with my traps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sam's has the aluminum trays that are sort of like lunch room trays at 2 for $10. They are quite sturdy but leave about an inch of space around the sides that must be made up with a board.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but our state apiarist at our recent meeting demonstrated the use of 'slim line' cd cases. He removed the three tabs that hold the disc in place and put a little peanut butter within the case and closed it. The case is then placed on the bottom board (or SBB).

The idea is that the bees chase the SHB around until they end up finding the holes in the case and run in. Once in the case, they have food available and don't venture out. On your next inspection simply pull the case out with SHB in it and toss it away.

Sounds a little too easy...

·
Registered
31 Posts
i use the CD cases under the outer cover and they work like a charm. I use a small drill head to open up the the slots on the CD case to get the bigger ones to go in. Mix in some crisco with a little pinch of boric acid and put a small dollop in the middle of the case and they all die either in the case or on top of the inner cover not far from the CD. I used to do the SHB trays but they were a pain to fit either above or under the BB and my bees were dropping into them too and dying.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I purchased a 'west hive'/freeman model last year (company out of business) which was the bottom board with rear removal of tray. The tray itself was flimsy aluminum, so I made a replacement out of galvanized sheet flashing (26 ga?), pop rivets & hot glue gun for seams. Hard to work without a break, but functioned well. I believe the sheet runs @ $14 at box store. Oil only, as cider vinegar will eat thru any metal.

I had no bee drownings using #6 mesh - just ordered some more from howardwire.com and seems to be the perfect size.

Plastic trays are available from kelleys as 'freeman' and slip into the varroa sticky board slots on some SBB, but they are $17 + shipping

With the trap, I had to raise the angled landing board on the stand to bring it even with the hive entrance board.

·
Registered
9 Posts

They have ONE downside: varmints will open the trays up to get at the cooking oil.

Sorry 'bout that! I'll post the solution on our web site asap. I have to cut a 3" strip out of wood or plastic and screw it on the back of the trap. I takes 3 screws: one on each end and one in the top of the middle. Single latches like the door hook will usually work, but some critters are really determined!

If I can be of any help, let me know. 870-853-2412
Jerry

·
Registered
59 Posts

They have ONE downside: varmints will open the trays up to get at the cooking oil.

Sorry 'bout that! I'll post the solution on our web site asap. I have to cut a 3" strip out of wood or plastic and screw it on the back of the trap. I takes 3 screws: one on each end and one in the top of the middle. Single latches like the door hook will usually work, but some critters are really determined!

If I can be of any help, let me know. 870-853-2412
Jerry
The latches I use are zinc coated...more importantly, they have a spring on the latch and a metal collar that secures the latch to the eye hole. The ***** (or whatever was bugging my hives) can't get that open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts