Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got plans for a good shaker box for shaking bees and moving them to supply the mini nucs? Last year we used buckets with screen walls but sometimes lost bees beacuse of weight. Any ideas or plans are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Mine is a series of deep boxes...

Bottom hive body has #8 mesh stapled on bottom. On top of that is a body with 9 frames of foundation and 1 comb of foundation. On top of that is a body with a wood bound excluder nailed on the bottom.

Shake bees into excluder shaker box. Bees move down onto brood/foundation. Leave any queens above excluder. Brood holds bees in box.

You can shake 20-30 pounds of bees into this setup. There is plenty of clustering space below frames in bottom box.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On top of that is a body with 9 frames of foundation and 1 comb of foundation. ...Brood holds bees in box.
Sorry, not following ya -- Did you mean to say 9 frames of foundation and 1 frame of brood?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sounds like a shaker hive lol. I know the commercials make splits sorta like that. Brushoff alot of brood combs so they're beeless, put them in a box over an excluder on the same box, come back a few hours later in the pm, put em on bottoms, on a truck, move em to a new yard, bam, split, just add queen.

I like that idea, its a good way to keep a bunch of bees from flying around. I was just spraying syrup...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keith, What is the wooden box with the dividers used for? Also how is the top configured to dip bees? Thanks

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Keith, What is the wooden box with the dividers used for? Also how is the top configured to dip bees? Thanks
LT, wooden box is a "smoke-up" box, when I shake bees take off a lid from a hive you want to shake, put a excluder on with a" smoke-up box" smoke the bees up through to the top, take off five to seven pounds of bees bump them into your holding cages and repeat the process.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hey Keith

Was wondering about how many pounds per hive do you get out at a time I know It may very from hive to hive.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
5-7 pounds per shake, if there small, I bypass them till the next round, not worth the time if your only going to get a couple pounds.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Keith:

How many shaker boxes do you have. I'd imagine you would want 5-7 of them and with a helper, you do the 50-70 pounds per hour? So you smoke the bees up from one hive for 30 seconds or so then gives them a chance to go up? Then smoke again? How long does the process take?

Thanks.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Keith:

How many shaker boxes do you have. I'd imagine you would want 5-7 of them and with a helper, you do the 50-70 pounds per hour? So you smoke the bees up from one hive for 30 seconds or so then gives them a chance to go up? Then smoke again? How long does the process take?

Thanks.

Jean-Marc
JM, I have about 30-40 holding cages & 10 smoke-up boxes.
50-70lb an hour... yes
JM, I use about 7-8 boxes and cycle the smoke, yes, give them a chance to move up, kind of like useing stink pads but reversed.
how long does it take? not very long maybe five minutes to start dumping then your behind the rest of the day. :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
When I get bees out of the hive for packages it's about the same as Keith. I use a 6 5/8 super with 9 frames drawn empty comb(and screen cover that keeps frames and bees in) above the excluder and use bee-go in the smoker(squirted over the smoker fuel periodicaly) to drive them up. The box is then put on package funnel and the bees are knocked out of the box or blown. If you are not careful with the bee-go smoke you can drive to many bees into the shaker box.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Do you guys have the funnel fabricated or is there a source for them? If fabricated, can someone post the specs/design?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts