Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a swarm and it dosnt seem to have a queen (4 weeks no brood). first time working with bees so i need a recommendation where to get her, right now all i have is google. Im in PA so will need a hardy one for winters. what are good comps to look at who should i stay away from.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If your swarm has gone four weeks w/o a queen then the swarm is hopeless anyway. They won't accept a queen. You would also already be seeing drone layers. If the hive has gone four weeks w/o brood but has no dronelayers then you might have a queen that isn't laying. In that case, you will have to find and remove the queen before installing a new one. If you are new to beekeeping then you need to take a good look at images of queens and then go frame by frame through the hive looking for a match and then decide from there.

·
Banned
7,865 Posts
Not sure if it was a virgin or the mated queen that swarmed.
You can definitely test them with a mated queen no matter how
long they are queen less. You can also put a frame of egg/larvae
to see if they will build some queen cells for you. Try Cl to buy
a frame of egg/larvae locally. I had laying workers at the same time a
newly laying mated queen in the same hive before. Soon the mated queen
prevailed. I once bought a frame of bees from CL when I started.
They all accepted a new queen readily with the proper introduction of her.
I'm happy to help if you needed it. I have 4 mentors and many beekeepers here if I do not
know the answer. There is also the PM you can use too.

Queen with big body and darker thorax:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so after the last posts i think ill wait it out and hope its a virgin. plus every where i called dosent have any queens left. im going to see if i can get a hold of some brood. if not i dont have to much invested in this swarm any way.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I believe that Johnny Thompson still had queens for this month/June... He's a member here under Broke_t, I think.

I'd look locally at your bee club though... Someone should be able to spare a frame of eggs/brood for you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Per Tate Apiaries website: "Sorry, but we are no longer taking orders for NC raised queens, nucs, or packages. Please check back later in the year."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.