Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It is probable that your bees are finding any nutrients they require in their forage area. Bees are attracted by common table salt in water, but I know of no study that has determined the amount required by a bee. Most attempts by hobby beekeepers to improve nutrition, other than feeding sugar syrup or pollen supplement patties when needed, usually falls in the "feel good" work category.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I used to put out a high mineral salt lick for the deer and the bees were all over the ground around it.
Animal salt-licks would be my 'best guess' too - but it's only a guess. I've also frequently thought about supplying a dose of those trace elements which are added by NFT (Nutrient Film Technique) growers to their solutions (seeing as I've already got a few packets of the stuff in stock). After all, such microscopic amounts of relatively rare minerals (cobalt etc) are essential requirements for many plants which produce pollen. Well - it's theory ... :)

But - up until now they've done ok on naturally sourced pollen - so there appears to be no pressing need to make any changes to that diet.
LJ

·
Registered
739 Posts
My bees use to be all over the horse pee spots, not so much this year.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
Not sure what is in the salt water swimming pools but the bees seem to like that.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
524 Posts
Not scientific but my bees prefer a teaspoon of salt in their bird feeder water. Frederick Dunn on YouTube did an informal study with water sources and salt. Just regular salt, nothing fancy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts