Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is best honey to you?

I know, in Switzerland and allot of other countries in Europe, the best honey is considered the dark honey, [Forest Honey] bees milking the aphids on the Silver Fir. http://www.borealforest.org/world/trees/silver_fir.htm
Light color honey is considered the cheaper honey and it crystallizes faster.

Is there a similar honey in North America, coming from aphids?

Konrad

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have googled and found this...

Honeydew
Similar to honey, and usually bottled and sold as honey is honeydew, which is made from the sweet secretions of aphids, scale, or other plant sap sucking insects. Honeydew from pine forests has a "piney" taste and is prized for medicinal use in Europe and Turkey. In Europe and Turkey, honeydew is highly prized. Honeydew is unusual in that the honey is not made from the nectar of flowers but from the excess sugar secretions of aphids, most importantly the aphid Marchalina hellenica which feeds on the sap of the Turkish Pine. Honeydew in these regions has a strong piney taste and is thought to be of medicinal value. Bees collecting this resource have to be fed protein supplements, as honeydew lacks the protein-rich pollen accompaniment gathered from flowers

From what plant source is your DEW comeing from?
Konrad

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've heard both of those are great(but haven't tried them yet), but the best I've tasted myself is Sourwood with Tupelo a close second.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The favorite I get here is gallberry honey. It's very light and sweet and seems to never crystallize.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think by far the best is the clear nectar of the fireweed. When I was in Washington State the hives would put on an easy 200 pounds each of crystal clear honey. Awesome!!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all!
We do have a little Fireweed around here, not enough to taste the honey I think, there is more out in the bush. Does anybody grow them just for the bees?

Sourwood doesn't grow up here, [zone 5 to 8]....I'm in zone 3, the same goes with Gallberry.

Does anybody know where the Honeydew comes from?

Konrad

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I read that (hive and the honeybee) that oak trees are sometimes colonized by the aphids that produce the honeydew, and this is the only nectar-type substance that is obtained from the oak trees...but I haven't ever tried or experienced this.

·
Banned
922 Posts
Actually, to be completely precise, it's F-250, 7.3, turbo, direct injected Powerstroke.

I sure am glad it's an "oldie but goodie" ... these new ones suck. Service $250+, 15 MPG. I like my 94. Service under $100 and 20 MPG, empty, loaded, town, or highway.

BubbaBob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts