Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i have been trying to find some plants that are heat tolerent i was planning on trying buckweat but i do not now if i would grow here in central VA. I have several packs of thymes seeds and i wandering whereto find sumac seeds and would it do well here.

THOMAS

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you do you know where i could buy some sumac seeds and also buckweat i ha that some beekeepers use sumac for smoking bees i am wondering if he local supply company sells theor culd get them for me or does anyone one here ha any for sell.

THOMAS

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
>Thank you do you know where i could buy some sumac seeds and also buckweat i ha that some beekeepers use sumac for smoking bees i am wondering if he local supply company sells theor culd get them for me or does anyone one here ha any for sell.

I can get you sumac for your smoker, I'll PM you. John

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have known several beekeepers to plant buckwheat with success. Although I am told it can be hard to grow, they did not seem to have a problem. Got the seed at the local feed store, don't know if it was on hand or a special order.
If you are thinking long term, holly grows great all over Virginia and makes a fine, light, spring honey.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Buckwheat is a very fast growing plant that bees love. I have been told that it flowers in just six weeks from the time it sprouts. Deer love it though and you'll have a hard time growing it if you have much of a deer population around. My father quit growing it for that reason, he was tired of the deer eating up his bee food.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
put in several anise blue hyssop's. I read an article last year claiming 2 acres of it can support 250 hives. It blooms all summer at my house.
Just a crazy high number, hard to believe.

The article was either in bee culture, or the american bee journal.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I planted Borage last year in a plot about 20 X 100 ft. It starts blooming mid June and lasts til frost. Bees were on it all the time. It reseeds itself so well that I could have moved plants into 20 times that area this year. I haven't seen plants ouside the area where it was planted, so birds must not scatter the seed. I planted it for winter stores, though I did extract more fall honey than usual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I planted Borage last year in a plot about 20 X 100 ft. It starts blooming mid June and lasts til frost. Bees were on it all the time. It reseeds itself so well that I could have moved plants into 20 times that area this year. I haven't seen plants ouside the area where it was planted, so birds must not scatter the seed. I planted it for winter stores, though I did extract more fall honey than usual.
I have looked for borage seed around here and no one has heard of it. Could it be called something else? I have found it on the internet but shipping was more than the actual seed on the sites I looked. I sure would like to find some.
I do have some buckwheat planted and it is blooming like crazy! I also have some anise hyssop's that are growing in leaps and bounds, almost 3 feet tall but haven't seen any blooms yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For buckwheat the local Southern States here in Goochland, VA carries it, you just need to ask. It is like $48 for 50 LBS. For borage $20 for 1 LBS and 5.50 for shipping at www.outsidepride.com, better price in most cases than just buying seed packs. I usually find a few other beeks to share in the cost, since I only use about 1/4 of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.