Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i have been trying to find some plants that are heat tolerent i was planning on trying buckweat but i do not now if i would grow here in central VA. I have several packs of thymes seeds and i wandering whereto find sumac seeds and would it do well here.

THOMAS

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say bwheat will grow there no problem.If you will look on the banks of 220 south of martinsville v.a.you will find all the sumac seeds you would like if it hasn't been broken down with all the snow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you do you know where i could buy some sumac seeds and also buckweat i ha that some beekeepers use sumac for smoking bees i am wondering if he local supply company sells theor culd get them for me or does anyone one here ha any for sell.

THOMAS

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
>Thank you do you know where i could buy some sumac seeds and also buckweat i ha that some beekeepers use sumac for smoking bees i am wondering if he local supply company sells theor culd get them for me or does anyone one here ha any for sell.

I can get you sumac for your smoker, I'll PM you. John

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have known several beekeepers to plant buckwheat with success. Although I am told it can be hard to grow, they did not seem to have a problem. Got the seed at the local feed store, don't know if it was on hand or a special order.
If you are thinking long term, holly grows great all over Virginia and makes a fine, light, spring honey.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Buckwheat is a very fast growing plant that bees love. I have been told that it flowers in just six weeks from the time it sprouts. Deer love it though and you'll have a hard time growing it if you have much of a deer population around. My father quit growing it for that reason, he was tired of the deer eating up his bee food.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I grew some buckwheat last year. It started flowering at 3 weeks, and by 4 weeks after planting it was covered in blooms. It makes a dark, strong flavored honey.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
put in several anise blue hyssop's. I read an article last year claiming 2 acres of it can support 250 hives. It blooms all summer at my house.
Just a crazy high number, hard to believe.

The article was either in bee culture, or the american bee journal.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I planted Borage last year in a plot about 20 X 100 ft. It starts blooming mid June and lasts til frost. Bees were on it all the time. It reseeds itself so well that I could have moved plants into 20 times that area this year. I haven't seen plants ouside the area where it was planted, so birds must not scatter the seed. I planted it for winter stores, though I did extract more fall honey than usual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I planted Borage last year in a plot about 20 X 100 ft. It starts blooming mid June and lasts til frost. Bees were on it all the time. It reseeds itself so well that I could have moved plants into 20 times that area this year. I haven't seen plants ouside the area where it was planted, so birds must not scatter the seed. I planted it for winter stores, though I did extract more fall honey than usual.
I have looked for borage seed around here and no one has heard of it. Could it be called something else? I have found it on the internet but shipping was more than the actual seed on the sites I looked. I sure would like to find some.
I do have some buckwheat planted and it is blooming like crazy! I also have some anise hyssop's that are growing in leaps and bounds, almost 3 feet tall but haven't seen any blooms yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For buckwheat the local Southern States here in Goochland, VA carries it, you just need to ask. It is like $48 for 50 LBS. For borage $20 for 1 LBS and 5.50 for shipping at www.outsidepride.com, better price in most cases than just buying seed packs. I usually find a few other beeks to share in the cost, since I only use about 1/4 of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts