Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an inspection yesterday and got a bit of burr comb that had some honey in it. I'm not just saying this because they're my bees and I'm being all proud or anything, but it was the best honey I've EVER had. It had the most subtle hint of banana to it, which I find odd, but man alive, it's all I can do not to steal a frame from them. The super is filling up but there aren't enough capped frames to try and extract any. I'm a little worried because the goldenrod in our field started blooming today and I'd love to pull some off before that gets added. But maybe next year they'll manage to make a similar type.

Both hives are queenright now, hooray. The mother hive is slow going because she must have just started laying, but it looked like a good pattern. She for sure isn't up to speed yet, but I have hopes. I may try and swap a frame of brood from the split. The mother hive was full of workers, though, both top and bottom deeps, so maybe they can hang on long enough for this batch to start hatching.

The split is making wax like mad. They had glued the top feeder onto the upper part of the frames and I nearly lifted them all out. I'm afraid I squashed quite a few when I set it all back down. Sure hope I didn't nail the queen. They seem to have gone nuts with production, though, so I guess there's a nice flow on aside from goldenrod. I haven't seen any asters yet but the birdsfoot trefoil is blooming away, so I guess that might be it. No sign of flowers on my basswood yet, though. Boo.

I can't understand how MrMonkey isn't just as fascinated by this as I am. At least the kids are. They always want to hold a drone. Good practice for trying to mark the queen if I ever see her again.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Great!

I just harvested a couple frames yesterday from my strongest hive. Tasting your own honey is like akid on Christmas. So excited to see (taste) what you are gonna get.

Banana sounds wonderful. A friend has butterscotch honey which is off the charts. My honey is super unique to Southern New England. I have mint flavored honey. I just put a label on it called double mint honey. I gave some to a couple friends who are not beeks and they were astonished.

Mint, Banana, and butterscotch. The flavors are endless.

Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm, mint. What plants? I have a lot of catnip and mint in my garden, but probably not enough to affect the taste much. Maybe next year...

I plan on putting TONS of lavendar in next year to see what that adds. It's the best thing ever in lemonade, so it can't be bad in honey.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does you loves it?

I love orange blossom honey. I'd like to get my hands on some tupelo, for to try it out. My ILs are snowbirds now, so I may have them bring me some next year. I can't pay as much in shipping as I pay for the honey. Does that make me cheap? Whatever. Now that I have the delivery service, I'm going to make full use of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My advice is to take the good honey and let the bees make more with the goldenrod even if you can only take a couple of frames. If it is that good, it will be worth it. You might make a note of the frames that are closest to being complete and wait a week or so and it should be almost as good.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I agree with Doc. If you get some really awesome honey early in the season, go ahead and steel a frame

1 - 8 of 8 Posts