Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 nucs each in 4 frame deeps. Queens are doing well enough to put on a second deep.They are very short on honey. Still in a dearth in missouri.I have some medium frames of honey I can put into the deeps or feed sugar water. I would like to use the honey but wonder how much of a mess the bees will make with short medium frames in there.

Thanks jrshay

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
If the honey is capped, I would hold off adding it to the hives until just before you button them up for winter. I don't think they will uncap and move it around to as-yet undrawn combs, though they will likely be glad to open it up and eat it or feed it to brood later in the winter. I would feed them sugar syrup to encourage them to continue to build-out comb and fill it (even if that's with syrup, for now.)

The risk with medium combs in a deep space is that they get the idea of drawing out comb below the mediums which could leave with you with an unstable or gnarly mess next spring. I had that happen and then they started their early brood in it the following year. When I was carefully doing an inspection it just fell off, which made a big mess.

I don't think a few weeks of wrong-sized comb early in the season (for example moving a frame of open brood from on hive to another) is a problem. But having wrong sized frames in a hive for any length of time will give your girls naughty ideas about drawing free-form combs.

Enj.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I would keep the honey for you and feed syrup. Mixing mediums and deeps may not let the winter cluster move around the hive like they want.

Also make sugar blocks for winter emergency feed. (Except don’t add HBH/EOs it's bad for bees)
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...method-for-sugar-blocks&highlight=sugar+block

>mess the bees will make with short medium frames in there
They probably won't draw much more wax until spring. If you put the med frames between two drawn deep frames the only thing they might do will be draw them to the bottom box.

>Still in a dearth in missouri
You are close and I have not noticed a dearth at all this year. They were still drawing plastic frames as of two weeks ago. And it looks like the fall flow is about to kick off, lots of golden rod, dandelions, and white clovers all over the place.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It is up to you, either will work fine. If you use the frames of capped honey put one on the outside. The bees will empty individual cells as they need it for feed. I doubt they will either move the honey to other frames or draw much comb on the bottom.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts