Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to open feed. My tiny open test feeder got ignored. Will they use a closed feeder when they ignore an open one? There's a green nectar flow.

Assuming I need to feed before the deadline, should it be closed? Last fall I open fed. What closed feeder is the best?

What I want
  1. high feed rate (volume eaten / time)
  2. high volume: Hives aren't fed multiple times (no refills).
idea for a hive top feeder:

1 big syrup container (or several) goes in a super. Its a mini version of the tote I open feed with, and store my clothes in. If the frames can't take the container's weight, it goes on a support. Floats are logs split in half with grass on top.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
why not just put small shim pieces of wood directly on top of the frames of the top box, then invert gallon paint cans full of syrup? I can get 4 gallons onto one hive with an empty deep box over the top in one go.
Inexpensive and easy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
feeder.jpg
open feeder

I could make a version of my open feeder that fits in the hive. 1 of these could store shoes. It would hold a large volume. The high surface area should make feeding fast. It wouldn't be good for slow feeding with refills. Shims could move weight away from the center of frames.

better floats:
Ideas for better straw would help. Mine's marsh hay. I might not use wood.

Rye float idea:
  1. Grow rye.
  2. Let it dry.
  3. Thresh
  4. Chop it with a mower or leaf blower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts