Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting older, and starting to think more and more about keeping my back from getting damaged. Normally two of us will lift a colony onto a trailer, but what's out there that would let a man work solo, without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
559 Posts

If you used staples on your bottom boards, to keep them on, this should work?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Harbor freight hand truck,a couple of binder straps and 2 good planks.
Find a local welder to extend the "nose" to about 13 in to balance the hive.
Tire size will be determined by your terrain and you may need a "dually" for side slopes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm looking for something that will lift them to a truck bed. I do have an old trailer with a boom but it needs some TLC.

I saw this one, but I don't have any experience with it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I purchased a hive lifter from Hives Lifter | Bee Breeding Centre and think it is very valuable. I use the lifter to move the hives from a bench to a trailer. Once the hive is on the trailer, I have to man-handle it to put it into position. It is almost identical to what SpadeApiaries posted.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a trailer with a fold down ramp. With that and a good hand truck I can easily load hives by myself.
I have what used to be called a Kelley Nose Truck. Below is a link to the same or similar product on the Mann Lake Site.
I just discovered there is no Kelley website anymore...it transfers automatically to Mann Lake.

Kelley used to make a version with dual wheels on each side for added stability on uneven ground. Mann Lake apparently
has discontinued that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts