Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had as many as 11 hives on and around my house. I now have installed a new roof, skylights and solar panels and would like to build back up to that number of hives. The new skylights were poop spotted the first day by the three hives I have next door. Solar panels are recommended to be cleaned a few times a year to maintain their top level of energy storage. Judging from my neighbor's black SUV parked three months during the pandemic, my solar panels will be poop degraded quickly.

What cleanser would be best to soak the poop with before brushing the panels?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Ollie, have you ever tried to clean bee poop off of a car? Even the pressure washer did not take it off. Wife's SUV was covered in March. Ran it through the car wash twice, then used a pressure washer, ended up using a scratch free scrubbie and about an hour of time to get the 4Runner cleaned up. Good news is it does seem to erode after some time so the build up should not get too bad.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been trying for 50 years, but I can take my truck to the car wash. No so my solar panels. I know wetting it helps.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Not sure if you can use this on a painted finish or solar panels. 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 dawn dish soap. Spray on good, Let sit for 10 min, spray lightly again and just wipe off.
Can tell you how great this worked my teenage sons bathroom that he failed to clean for a year.....

Again, not sure about thw finish but was fine on shower plastic and tile.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know that Super Clean will dissolve propolis. Never tried it on bee poop. Can't be much tougher than propolis. images.jpg

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I have been trying for 50 years, but I can take my truck to the car wash. No so my solar panels. I know wetting it helps.
First step is to rinse down solar panels with pure water. We have found that pure water is absolutely necessary from start to finish when it comes to bee poop. We also found that allowing the water to soak into the bee poop help for easy removal. A hard bristle brush will help to ease the cleaning of bee poop.
being your from Calif. that pure water may be a problem:D answer from https://solarpanelcleaningfriends.c...rst step is to rinse,the cleaning of bee poop.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It bakes and degrades in the sun, rain will eventually wash it off. Your semi-annual cleanings will take care of most of what the rain and sun fail to get. The little bit that's left is minutia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts