Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Eco-Keeper bee jacket that has held up pretty well for the last two years. But it is so hot and humid during the summer here in Georgia that even in early morning or late evening I am completely soaked with sweat after 15-20 minutes. If I'm not opening hives I usually just wear a veil.
Any suggestions for a bee jacket with a zip-on veil that might make it be more comfortable in a high humidity and heat climate?

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
475 Posts
Traditional suggestion- UltraBreeze jacket. You will see quite a few recs for this one.

Non-traditional method- consider a cooling vest for under your jacket. I have a cooling vest normally used for motorcycle riding (Hyperkewl- Ebay) that I soak with water then wear for english riding. The other type of cooling vest allows you to insert ice packs within it. Not practical for what I do but may be great under your jacket to keep you cool.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I avoid the high heat / humidity but my summer season is shorter than yours - read the entrance mostly. A solution to your problem is either costly or innovative. I do not know enough about your apiary size or location. A wild suggestion is setup a fan and possible swamp cooler if you are not at the dew point. I have positioned all hives except one to be in tree shade the later part of the day - it helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I avoid the high heat / humidity but my summer season is shorter than yours - read the entrance mostly. A solution to your problem is either costly or innovative. I do not know enough about your apiary size or location. A wild suggestion is setup a fan and possible swamp cooler if you are not at the dew point. I have positioned all hives except one to be in tree shade the later part of the day - it helps.
No electricity at the bee yard. The hives do not get shade until the sun is just above the horizon which could be 8:30pm during the the summer. This is to help with hive beetle control.
At 7 AM the temp may only be 75- 80F but the humidity is usually 80-90%. At this moment, my weather station says 73F with 73% humidity.
I would not mind the sweat so much except I get prickly heat rash fairly easy (A skin condition caused by blocked sweat ducts and trapped sweat beneath the skin).When I was young and skinny it was not a problem but now that my man boobs and my apple belly have grown I get it fairly often.
I try and take a quick cold shower afterwards but it only helps somewhat.
I may try a good lightweight bee suit with nothing underneath.

·
Registered
240 colonies
186 Posts
I have been using a jacket from Lyson that I bought from Betterbee. It took me 2 years of hard use to where the 1st one out so I bought another 1 this summer. I like everything about the jacket except that it is hot. So I bought 1 I think it was called kool breeze from blue sky bee keeping. It is that triple layer mesh style like the ultra breeze, it is way cooler than the solid cloth types. If you don't already have it I would definitely recommend it. It's strange because it's kind of heavy and so I didn't wear it for a long time but out of desperation I finally put it on I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Any product tagged ECO is in my opinion highly suspect. That said, the suits with two layers of very open weave suits that let air pass freely are wonderful in hot weather! I had a friend give me one because I said I was shopping for a new bee suit. He was kind and said my "CHEST' was bigger and the one he bought was too big for him! Get one! Life will be better and people who put ECO on a product are sellin something!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Do you need a jacket? I go with a loose long sleeved cotton shirt. But my bees are pretty mild.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
216 Posts
My summers can be brutally hot, but not humid. I will not touch my bees without a full suit and leather gloves. I only have two hives so it doesn't take me too long. I start as early as possible and find my 3-layer ventilated suit bearable. You can get a gel filled scarf that you put in a fridge before you wear it, supposedly to keep you cool.

I saw a bee suit here in Australia which i thought is pretty cool - the front of the veil can be easily zipped open for a drink.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you need a jacket? I go with a loose long sleeved cotton shirt. But my bees are pretty mild.
I tried that but I used swarms to increase my hives. Some swarms can be very aggressive once in a hive until they get a new queen. I probably had 30 stings through a cotton shirt one time. I didn't even have a chance to smoke them when they boiled out of a crack when I pried the inner cover open.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Boondocks " get prickly heat rash fairly easy " an honest assessment of the issue. I sufferred for a while form that effect. The irritation and health issues caused me to lose weight. I am far better off now - another benefit of beekeeping - warning signs.

Another helpful approach is a wet, cotton tee-shirt - becomes an evaporative cooler once it warms up - only really helpful when the dew-point and temperature are below body temperature. I used cotton tee shirts for summer back packing. Another suggestion is the use of light pants that have been treated by Insect Shield. I wear them due to ticks / Lyme disease (5X). Bees tend to stay off them ( hot feet it's called - permethrin). No Lymes Disease since and far fewer bees up the pant leg. Also check the mesh on the head piece. My old jacket had a finer lighter mesh than my new one which seems to cool easier (hot air exchange effect?). I use a heavier jacket now, Guardian type - 2XL for more room. It is heavy and seemingly cooler than the old one.

Final idea - all the heat issues are also time related - cool off somewhere with AC at intervals.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have been using a jacket from Lyson that I bought from Betterbee. It took me 2 years of hard use to where the 1st one out so I bought another 1 this summer. I like everything about the jacket except that it is hot. So I bought 1 I think it was called kool breeze from blue sky bee keeping. It is that triple layer mesh style like the ultra breeze, it is way cooler than the solid cloth types. If you don't already have it I would definitely recommend it. It's strange because it's kind of heavy and so I didn't wear it for a long time but out of desperation I finally put it on I was pleasantly surprised.
My wife had to reinforce some of the seams but I really like the Lyson jacket. It's fairly lightweight and on the cool side. I also have an Ultrabreeze jacket. I know I'm in the minority but I hate it. It snags on everything, the veil material is sized WAY too fine so it blocks out too much light, and the suit is made of a meltable material - not good when you're dealing with a smoker. Mine has several holes melted in it. It was also about $170 or so, the Lyson was about $70. I know a lot of people love Ultrabreeze but I'll take the Lyson jacket even if they cost the same price.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Love my Lyson! Well, everything except the backwards wrong handed European zipper! Has taken all summer to get used to it. Will soon have to get used to normal zippers...

·
Registered
240 colonies
186 Posts
Yes, Lyson should do a mesh jacket because everything else about their jackets is well thought out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Love my Lyson! Well, everything except the backwards wrong handed European zipper! Has taken all summer to get used to it. Will soon have to get used to normal zippers...
:D I agree w/you about that weird zipper! I'd forgotten about having to get used to it. That does remind me though - I'll take the weird Lyson zipper over the way too big brass zipper on the Ultrabreeze.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts