Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Best bee vac design?

13027 Views 59 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Colino
Hi folks. I'm about to put together a bee vac and wonder which is the best design: the "bucket" or "box" style? Looks like they both accomplish the same thing, but I wonder if one is maybe gentler on the bees than another.

TIA
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Premium Member
11,921 Posts
I have some of those dust collector gates that Gilligan pictured on my dust collection system. The movable gates do not retract entirely into the housing. (Mine came from Grizzly Tools.) There is about 3/8" of the gate end that protrudes into the bore.

· Registered
200 Posts
Here is the best setup I have been able to come up with. All of the ones that pull the bees into hive bodies are heavy for high cutout work. The first one I made worked well, but the vac was hooked into a catch box, so there were two units, and more cords and hoses to keep track of. This one is light and easy to suspend, and has good ventilation as a transport cage when the work is done.

Attachments

· Registered
329 Posts
I have some of those dust collector gates that Gilligan pictured on my dust collection system. The movable gates do not retract entirely into the housing. (Mine came from Grizzly Tools.) There is about 3/8" of the gate end that protrudes into the bore.
Radar, I was thinking about removing that gate completely and only using it as a shim to slide in hardware cloth when done.

· Registered
329 Posts
Ratchet strap allows you to suspend the hive boxes wherever you need.

Shop vac can be suspended just about anyway you can and as dirty as needed... it's just a shop vac. :)

We had ours on a forklift the other day at a removal, yay for bungee cords!

· Registered
200 Posts
How high are you talking?
Anything over 10' up makes the extra hoses and cords a pain. I did a few that were 25' or higher last season.

Also, I like to keep the vac very close to the hive itself, to keep the hose length as short as possible. Maybe that isn't as important as I think, but those long hoses can't be fun for the bees to tumble 25' in.

· Premium Member
7,679 Posts
You're doing a cut out 25' up on ladders? Wow. I like having the vac as far away from me as possible so I don't have to listen to it. I've used up to 3 hose sections at once with no problems.

· Registered
200 Posts
You're doing a cut out 25' up on ladders? Wow.
Yeah. It's no fun. I am leaving work early today to do one 20' up. I have access to scaffolding, but most of my removals have been on hilly enough terrain to make setting it up more hassle than it is worth.

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Here is the best setup I have been able to come up with. All of the ones that pull the bees into hive bodies are heavy for high cutout work. The first one I made worked well, but the vac was hooked into a catch box, so there were two units, and more cords and hoses to keep track of. This one is light and easy to suspend, and has good ventilation as a transport cage when the work is done.
can you share some info on how you made that?

· Registered
172 Posts
Cub, that's exactly like the one I borrowed from my buddy. Didn't much like it, except the portability factor. It was hard to get the bees out into a newspaper-merge box without releasing a bunch of angry bees. Personally, I'd prefer to carry 25-50' of hose up a ladder and leave the hive box and vacuum on the ground, though one COULD pull both up a tall ladder with a rope and tie off to the rungs.

ETA: Well, maybe not quite what he bought. Brushy is where he got his, for those who prefer to buy vs. building: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Owens-Bee-Vac/productinfo/318/

· Registered
693 Posts
Cub,

Makes my feet hurt looking at your pictures, try this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Werner-AC18MT-Tray-Attachment-fot-MT-Ladder-Work-Platform-/310942648580

Also recommend a fall protection line and harness, takes 10 minutes to go up on the roof above your work and secure it, your wife, kids, and customers will appreciate it.

I find the peace of mind also helps me relax while working.

Sorry for butting in, seen the results of too many falls over the years (old roofing contractor).

Don

· Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,472 Posts
>Also recommend a fall protection line and harness, takes 10 minutes to go up on the roof above your work and secure it, your wife, kids, and customers will appreciate it.

I've been 20 feet up a ladder getting stung badly on several occasions. If you are not sure you can remain calm enough to climb down a ladder while this is taking place, you probably shouldn't be doing bee stuff 20 feet up a ladder... but certainly any safety precautions you can take will help. I've pretty much decided it's not worth the risk for a few bees...

· Registered
1,889 Posts
>
I've pretty much decided it's not worth the risk for a few bees...
Yep! A nuc can be easily bought for $150 or less, would not even get a handful of aspirin at the emergency room for that.

· Registered
200 Posts
Yep! A nuc can be easily bought for $150 or less, would not even get a handful of aspirin at the emergency room for that.
I agree. There is no way I'd do a cutout like this, just for the bees. Also, I am a veteran carpenter and have done years of handy man work, on houses of mine and my parents. Ladder jacks, scaffolding, and fall protection are all good ideas and would have been employed for a more extensive job. The terrain steepness of this particular removal made standing on a ladder easier than standing on the ground.

As for the bee vac subject of this thread, I am thrilled with it's performance. Maybe a few dozen dead bees out of 3+ pounds in the screen cage when it was all over.

· Registered
683 Posts
Colino that looks good, glad to see my video helped somebody out!
I did a cut out yesterday, I went back this morning and found a cantaloupe size cluster left partly under the floor. Sucked them all up plus stragglers and when I dumped them with the hive, not one dead one. First time I used it, this design works like a charm.
Colino

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.