Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old suit is history- in tatters. It was just a pair of (once) white coveralls with a zipper veil attached. Amazing that I havent been stung this year. I owe that to the surprising freindliness of my seven hives. They havent tried to sting me more than twice, despite many clumsy operations in questionable weather. Sheer luck, cause my queens are all crossbreeds for the last few years. Whats better; the style with a hat and veil, or the type with the hood and veil? The hood seems like it would get kinda hot? Thanks, Paul.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I like the english style hood better than the hat, for convenience. One less thing to mess with. The hood is not any hotter than any other system. The Golden Bee Products suit is the coolest (mesh) and the best built I've seen (awsome zippers etc.). I use my Jacket from Beeworks the most when it's not hot out, because it's quick to put on and take off and works very well. But on a hot day with lots of beekeeping to do, it's the Golden Bee Products suit.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I like my pollinator jacket with the wide brim hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and keep the Irish side of my face from turning into a toasted marshmallow on those 10 hours days in the sun. It also (hat) wicks sweat which is an advantage. I often use even when I move hives. It has outlasted my dadant suit which I use much less. It is all cotton as well, none of that poylester blend that cooks you out on warm days.

[ June 05, 2006, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Joel ]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of a hat to keep the sun off the face as well, Joel, thanks. Thanks for the tip about all cotton gear too. Michael, I am finding it hard to spend the big bucks for the golden suit. Possibly in the future. Good to know that its a cool suit. Thanks for the info. Thanks for the link, CPhilip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts