Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a fair size shipment of hive bodies in a week or so..and I want to purchase an air-nailer for the first time for hive bodies. Any recommendations on makes, gauge and length of nails....appreciate any help with this..thanks...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I prefer staples over nails. 1/2 or 3/8 crown.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I bought a used bostitch on ebay an 863s4, shoot 1/2" crown up to 2 1/2" awsome price awsome holding power.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
yep, I do crush a bit of grain on occasion, however when I have cupped boards, the big staples pushes it flat like nothin'.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I had a Senco, but it kept jamming and I got tired of repairing it. I have three Porter-Cable nailers. One for staples, one for brads/nails under 1.5", the other will nail up to 2.5". I use the 2.5" to nail hive bodies together. Except for the rabbet frame rest wood, use 1.5" for that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a Porter Cable finish nailer but bought a 1/4" crown stapler from Harbor Freight. The stapler was around $20. works fine. Also a cheap brad nailer from HF.

Titebond glue also!

·
Registered
110 Posts
a grizzly 1/4 crown/brad nailer its two staple guns in 1.1/4 crown to 1 3/4
and a brad nailer to 1 3/4 it soots me fine/www.grizzly tools.com:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you're looking for holding power and longevity get the 3/8" crown or 1/2" crown stapler, and use 1 1/2" or longer staples. No comparison with the little 1/4" crown staples. Also, work better than nails as you won't have as many come out the side. You simply will not be able to tear the boxes apart, so make sure you're ready to have them permanently assembled before you shoot the staples! I have at least 15 different nail guns in my garage as I'm a general contractor. I've tried all the different combinations and the 1/2" staples do the best job by far, as most of the commercial guys have found.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I must be disagreeable here. My first hive was stapled with 1/4 crowns and no glue. That was 8 years ago and it is falling apart at the joints now. I just dismantled it and put new nails into it with a hammer.

All the hives with galvanized nails and waterproof glue are still sticking together. The nails don't rust out but the staples will ( thinner material ).

But that is just me -- Fuzzy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a hitatchi 7/16 crown staple you can buy them at
home depot the staples. Amazon has a good deal on staple guns
I have 1/4 crown Staples for frames I use 1 1/2 length for top and bottom and 3/4 for the top bar and I use a 1 inch brad nail on all four sides

One nice thing about 7/16 crown staple for boxs is that you can stright out warp boxs by stapling the warp side
you get a nice strong box
1 1/4 work nice for stapling the hand holds on ends

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Surebonder Model 9750 Brad Nailer, it will drive up to 2".
2 shots at slight angles and you would wreck the frame pulling it apart.
Those little nails really grip.
I dropped it and broke the latch on the rear, the company send me a replacement without charge. (I attempted to purchase the part)
Service like that today is hard to find.!

Surebonder gets my vote.

BM

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
paslode. Drives nails like nothing I have used before. I also like the accuracy with the tip of the gun.
Paslode or a DeWalt is your choice. make sure that tou buy the 2.0" long staples. The reason that I selected the tip with a safety behind the nose is for accuracy
I also prefer my coil nailer to drive the 6" galvanized nails.
Or, if you really want to do it up right use ring shank nails1
BTY" my guns have an adjustment near the trigeer to adjust the depth of the staple or nail.
Do not go with any 1/4" crown or finishing nails.
The wide crown staples are good for frame assembly if you use the slotted bottom bars for snap in foundation.
BTY: keep your fingers away from the wood when assembling supers. Staples and nails have a tendency to follow the woof grain. Skip the spot that you would nail and drill it out later for a 6d nail.
Ernie

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
yep, I do crush a bit of grain on occasion, however when I have cupped boards, the big staples pushes it flat like nothin'.
Check and see if you have a depth adjustment by the trigger. It's usually a small whell with numbers in the wheel so that you can dial it in for your work.
Ernie

·
Registered
494 Posts
Senco Gun & use the Senco Ringshank galvanized nails.
All boxes, supers & every frame is also glued.
Frame nailers are just the Tool Shop cheepies.
And they seem to work & last just fine.
Spend a little extra now when you assemble your equipment & your few extra pennies spent will pay off big time for the years to come!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts