Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I started two new hives from Italian packages, but they didn't arrive until mid-June. I re-queened both of them to Carniolans in early July and have been feeding them (although not a ton, I must admit). They're doing fine but they're not expanding as much as I had hoped, with each of these new hives only covering about 5 frames so far.

I assume for now, I should just feed, feed, feed... but I need to think about the winter season. I hope to add a medium on top of each box, but if they don't expand beyond a single deep, would I be better off moving them to a 2-body 5-frame nucleus configuration for the winter? I've got one other "normal" hive (2 deeps, 1 medium) and two 5-frame nucs populated at the moment.

Just trying to think through my options now. Would love to hear some advice, as I've never overwintered anything smaller than a 2-deep hive. Thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Combine hives to get 2 deep configuration. Strong hives can survive winter weather and weak ones fail. If you need more hives you can split in the spring. Italians are as good as Carniolans. I have not seen a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts