Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son would like a bee belt with just a magnet mounted in a leather flap for his hive tool. Unlike mine, which was by a Canadian maker, and has the queen cage holder, pen holder,etc. as well as a separate leather tab with a wooden block that has the magnet mounted in the middle to keep the tool away from your leg and hanging straight. The block is then mounted to a leather tab.

I have a friend who does leather work and is willing to make my son the belt he wants. I have to come up with a source of supply for the magnet. So if anyone can point me to a supplier on line where I can order a belt magnet, that would be much appreciated.

I do like the idea of the wooden block keeping the tool edge and corners extended out and away from my leg for safety purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the past I have picked up the neodymium magnets for various projects from K&J, usually from their amazon but I browse their site at https://www.kjmagnetics.com/ . Just figure out shape and size you think you want for the person to sew/craft into the belt with. If there is fabric/leather between the magnet and the tool it will reduce the holding power and allow a little more slipping so that may play into how you decide to size stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a 25 pound disc magnet at Ace hardware. I just drop it into my bee suit pocket. It holds the hive tool right where I want it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Old computer hard drives have very flat and very powerful magnets.
I glued two of these to an old cell phone belt clip and it holds the hive tool quite well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts