Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to bee keeping.i received package of bees4 days ago and placed in the hive with the queen in her cage.
Checked today to see if she had been released and she had. However, had no drawn comb. Flow is not really on here yet so have feeder installed. Bees are clustered on center frames in brood box and in super. I have a queen excluder in place. When should I see comb being drawn.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Location would be helpful. How large is broodbox. The bees might be better able to draw comb if they have less space to heat.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Hopefully you have feed available to the bees. The quart jar on the entrance is not available as the bees are too cold and the syrup is too cold to use it. Consider a gallon zip lock bag of warm 1:1 syrup on the top bars and removing the queen excluder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi lee746
when you get a package of bees and put them in to a hive if you can get 2 to 4 frame with drawn comb on it put it into the hive so the queen can lay eggs in the comb when she get out of the queen cage you chance of them sriviving passed the winter will be hire.
try to feed them until fall.

email me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congrats on your new hive! Stay at it, the first year is the most rewarding and possibly the most frustrating!

Agreed. Remove the super and feed feed feed feed. Wait until you get 8 of of 10 frames drawn with comb (assuming the box is a 10 frame box). At that point you can add another deep brood box or whatever you’d like to do.

Adding too much space too soon is a good way to get hive beatles. Too much space for the bees to protect.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Welcome!

A package doesn't need much space for a while. Get your space down to one box. Save that excluder in case you choose to use it later. Don't worry them for a week or so. Feed if you can. Check back in.

We bet you'll have a different report!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts