Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my 1st time ever beekeeping and have one 10 frame brood with foundationless frames, all but 2 or 3 are built out with comb so I added another brood so now I have 2 high. I've been feeding sugar water daily since the swarm was caught about a month ago they seem to be thriving in their new hive, so my question is how do i successfully multiply hive into multiple hives , I live in so. Mississippi if anybody around the picayune area if anybody could give any info thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
I'm not in Mississippi, but the principles of splitting a hive into two hives are not really location specific.

In short, continue to grow your hive til you have enough bees to split it into two hives. Move some combs with brood and bees to a second hive and add a queen to the new hive. Of course, there are some details that are not in that summary - I suggest you read this page and then ask more questions.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

Note that the link does discuss the option of allowing the bees to raise a new queen. You do not have to purchase a queen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts