Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I can find answers to my questions in old posts but not this time. I have one strong hive. I started another but it went queenless right away, not sure why. I fed the bees, sang them lullabies (well, almost) and ordered a new queen. But by the time she arrived and came out of her cage, most of the original bees had died. Now there are about twenty bees in the hive, no drawn comb, and a very lonely queen. And the wax moths have moved in, horror of horrors. I've never seen any evidence of wax moths in my good hive, including today. I have some empty boxes. If I pull some frames of brood from my strong hive and put them in a clean box with the lonely queen, will they accept each other? Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions any of you care to give.

·
Registered
887 Posts
pull some frames and re-cage the queen and re-introduce her to the new frames.

Make sure to put them in a small box (NUC) or even in one section of a queen castle to give them limited space.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Lets see if the pros agree with my thought process

Provide proper maintenace of caged queen. Make a queenless split with as much brood,bees, honey and pollen you can spare from large hive. More the better. (perhaps no eggs or day old larva? pros) Wait atleast 24 hrs, longer the better for queen acceptance. If there is eggs or day old larva they will start queen cells. Bring the new queen in and see how they react, if they attack wait another day or two.

If they accept her you may want to destroy those made queen cells, not sure, maybe just leave em and let the bees decide. (?)

If the wax moth frames arn't too bad freeze for atleast 24 hrs and add to split. Depending on strength of the split you may want to wait for them to build up or add just 1 or 2 so beetles and wax moths don't reinfest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both. Any advice about how to get Miss Queen back into her cage? She's very easy to spot since the hive is so empty (sob, sob), but I don't want to do it wrong. The moth thing was pretty bad, and it happened incredibly fast. I checked the hive on Friday and saw NO SIGN of worms or moths (and I was looking) and today they were everywhere. Ick! We have lovely winters here in Texas but there's the downside.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I dont know much but do know you have no choice but to add brood frames with bees. I expect caging the queen would be best, but my understanding is that the bees tending the capped and uncapped brood will be mostly nurses and not be aggressive to the queen, I will pass the ball on that one but I thought that is what I read. Good Luck. I have had to re queen twice this year and each time have been successful. Keep your chin up.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, biggraham! I just can't stand seeing my girls (or girl, now) in distress, and it's not because I want honey. Grateful for your kind words!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Personally I would just add bees and capped brood to the small hive with a queen. Put them in as small a box as you have. If you feel nervous about adding bees from another hive to the small one you can smoke the small hive as you add the bees or put the bees and brood being moved in another box for a couple of hours until they know that they are queenless.

Again I would just add them. If you are in a nectar dearth putting the bees being moved into another box for a while will let any foragers go home before they find honey in your weak hive. Doing anything in a dearth is risky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Bruce. Usually we would be in nectar dearth right now but we're actually having a luxurious summer by Texas standards. I am just driving myself crazy fretting about this so I think I will have to try something tomorrow if only to save my own mental health! I don't feel nervous while I am actually working with my bees but I feel worse when I can't see them, if that makes any sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts