Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Central Oklahoma and have been wanting to get into bees since I was a young kid (let's call it 40 years ago....that's the ticket). My question is it too late to get into bees for this year? I wouldn't expect much in the way of honey for the first year, just get them good and established and hope for good weather next year. I have a line on a hive (all shallows) that I would want to convert to mediums. Is it doable, and is it too late?

Thanks!
LGV

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You may have trouble finding bees this year unless you catch a swarm or someone catches one and gives it to you. Bees are typically obtained commercially by buying a package of bees with a queen, or a nucleus hive that consists of a laying queen, a couple frames of stores, and a few frames of brood. These are normally ordered in late fall or winter for spring delivery, and it it very unlikely you will find one now. Do check Craig's List, though, it's quite possible someone has more bees than they want.

If you cannot find bees this spring, plan ahead and order some in the fall. In the mean time, there are plenty of books on beekeeping and you will need to round up the proper equipment, and that will keep you busy and get you prepared.

Good luck!

Peter

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am in Central Oklahoma and have been wanting to get into bees since I was a young kid (let's call it 40 years ago....that's the ticket). My question is it too late to get into bees for this year? I wouldn't expect much in the way of honey for the first year, just get them good and established and hope for good weather next year. I have a line on a hive (all shallows) that I would want to convert to mediums. Is it doable, and is it too late?

Thanks!
LGV
NOPE not too late at all if those Shallows come with bees and established hive. Keep in mind to get bees to willingly draw new comb it takes a nectar flow of some kind or feeding. I would personally suggest getting the hive, and puttting on 1 medium with foundation but insert it into the middle of your shallows. The bees will draw wax and get started.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nope not to late heck I hive 12 nucs set'n in Oklahoma City area right now that probley want be ready tell the end of the month .

If you can find bees you should be fine . I have another line on some Oklahoma bees if he hasn't sold out .

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Regionality is huge - around here we never expect to get any honey from a first year hive.

If you can get bees go for it! Best Wishes!

(And I assume you've done a bit of reading/studying/wishing about bees during the last 40 years!)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good luck finding some bees this year! I bet it feels good to finally be doing something you have wanted to do for 40 years! That's awesome.

·
Registered
638 Posts
See if there is a Bee Association in your area, call them and ask if anyone is selling nucs. In our area...they are still around but not for much longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the replies and encouragement! However, between the mechanic and plumber, I was set back a few weeks on bees. Finally able to start looking again. Hope to land some soon!

Fordman, I sent you a PM.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts