Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nuc is due in a couple weeks. I went to a local bee club meeting and one of the things they mentioned was that it was a good idea to put in a 'Beetle Baffle' right away to head off beetle problems before they start. I was thinking of putting in a 'Beetle Blaster' too, since it is so cheap and it doesn't have any nasty chemicals in it.

Is there any other stuff I should get right away before I get things going?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently its a metal rim that goes around the bottom board that prevents the beetles from crawling up into the hive. She said it was new.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You're in the south which is SHB heaven. You need some sort of way to deal with the beetles, so that is sound advice. You will get some regardless of what you do, the key is keeping them under control. The beetle baffle is new and a clever idea, but there are other alternatives. What I use are the screened bottom boards with oil trap. I like and use the ones sold by Green Beehives out of Alabama.

I've got a buddy who is trying the baffles. We'll see how they do this summer. For the cost though ($20 for baffle with shim versus $27 for oil trap) I'll probably stick with the oil trap.

The beetle blasters are better than nothing and I use them on nucs that don't have a screened bottom with oil trap, but they're definitely a less preferable alternative. Not greatly effective, and you slop oil all over (which can kill bees).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts