Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems a bit ironic how the best laid plans of man are so easily thwarted by tiny stinging insects....but I digress, both of my new BeeWeaver queens gathered up a mess of their offspring and went walkabout (swarmed) about 2 weeks ago. I went out and took a look into all my hives today including these two and these queens, which where virgins 2 weeks ago have laid an egg in every hole that is not full of honey, if I can gain some semblance of control these girls are going to be honey making ladies. The fist hive has a lovely new queen and are ready for another box, the second one however is overcrowded and there must be 12 to 15 swarm cells in there!!! My plan was to pinch one of the new queens and combine these two but that is down the drain for now due to the multitude of capped queen cells. I shall spend the day pondering what to do but if anyone would like to make suggestions I would gladly listen....one thing, I do not have the equipment to make a bunch of splits right now. I would like to conclude that so far, despite the problems I am having, I love and recommend BeeWeaver queens!! They are incredible egg laying machines!!:D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I got a package of nwc from oliverez this year, & feel the same way about that queen. So far I'v been able to keep them from swarming, but keeping my fingers crossed.

out of the 9 hives I've started, I've never seen a queen build up like this one either.

If you can make a split with the old queen, you'd be able to keep her around a little longer.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Are you in a club in OK? Maybe someone can bring over some empty nucs and you can transfer some frames to them for a price. Or craigslist it and you will be able to sell some there.

I have 3 bweavers. They are totally awesome. Great honey producers too. I haven't had a swarming problem. But you do have to add space quickly. They fill up the equipment fast.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You can easily make some makeshift nucs out of 1x8's. If you don't have a table saw, you can also get a piece of 3/8x3 (in the craft section). and cut pieces out of that for a makeshift dado. It works quite well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I found myself in the same boat with the same queens three days ago.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I was thirty miles from home so I used queen excluders that I had on hand with sticks under the top cover to hopefully make some two queen hives that I can split next time I make it back... We'll see.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been tossing around the idea of replacing one of my queens with a Beeweaver. How are they with mites? The website says you "can throw away those expensive mite treatments too". Also, would you consider them to be pretty gentle? Would appreciate the feedback.....

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well....I got up this morning and looked out my back window just in time to see them swarm. Just like Hambone said....if you get yourself some of these queens do NOT turn your back on them for a minute.:D

THX DK...Those are awesome vids!!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been tossing around the idea of replacing one of my queens with a Beeweaver. How are they with mites? The website says you "can throw away those expensive mite treatments too". Also, would you consider them to be pretty gentle? Would appreciate the feedback.....
Mine are sweethearts so far. As far as mites....since I don't treat I don't do mite drop counts, I will let you know in several years if they are still thriving.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Mine are very calm. I don't do mite drops either. Both of mine made it thru winter fine. I do look closely at the bees on the frames first of spring and later in the fall. I have not seen any mites on the bees. I do see them on my ferals and the basic store bought IT's I have had in the past.

We had a late cold/wet spell in March. Which I lost 5 hives to starvation. One of the bweavers was one of those. Added a couple bweavers this year. On the one that didn't starve I just put on a 4th super this morning.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts