Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently busy with a removal of a very large colony. They built their hive in a pool pump box, and then out grew it and built the rest of the nest around the pump and all it's pipes and levers, etc. They have been there for 6 years! The pump itself is in a hole in the ground that's all grown over with grass, etc... Anyways, so I've removed all the comb and put it in frames, and filled a 10 frame deep box, Then I put another deep with foundation filled frames on top (The colony is two big for one). In the hive I probably have about 2/3rds of the bees. I have'nt seen the queen, but I think I got her, I did see some "the queen is here" dancing, at some point. I've scooped as much bees as I could from the pump area into the hive box, and then left the rest to find the queen themselves.

I went back 3 days later to find, there are still a stack load of bees in the hole in the ground, and on the wall beside the pump. So I scooped what I could into the hive (which is standing 3m (9ft) away). Then I came back 2 days later, and we where back to square one: 2/3rds in the hive, 1/3 just hanging around on the pump, and on the ground around it. I can't scoop them up really cos they not in a cluster, they just spread out , so if I try scoop them up I will squash em. That's the context.

So I've decided that this looks like a job for a beevac. So here's my question? Once I've sucked them all up? Do I throw them into the hive with the other 2/3rds, immediately? Or do I take them with me, and the closed hive to my apiary (100 km/50 miles) away, and unite them there? Bare in mind, that either way I still want to wait till night time before I move the hive, so that I don't lose any foragers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What Mr. Beeman said. Sounds like your queen is in that "hole", with brood tho.
I was wondering if that's the case, I'm pretty sure there is no comb left there, only fragments.

Thanks for the advice Beeman. The bee shops in my city are very limited in the stuff that they stock. I'd have to try order some bee quick stuff from overseas.
Are there alternative chemicals or things that repel or deter bees from coming back to spot? I think I heard somewhere that they don't like Teatree oil?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I eventually got them out.
Sucked a whole bucket load of bees up. They had obviously built some comb inside the motor. As I sucked all the bees on the outside of the motor, more kept coming out to replace the ones who had been sucked up. When had a bucket full, and it seemed like I got most of em, I emptied the bucket into the hive. I then sprayed the hole in the ground and the pump down with some water, after that I sprayed the area with an almond essence, surgical spirits and water ****tail. That seemed to do the trick. That evening they where all fast asleep in their new hive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts