Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built two home made abh oil. Bottom boards 10 frame size and posted up plans for simple One from another bee keeper post over on equipment. The problem for Ten frame hives no one has found a good Cheap oil container that Matches the hive dimensions. I found a serving tray that worked but too expensive.

Have you found a good cheap container that works? I realize these are too expensive unless you have just a few hives but my trap works well but the container cost.

I use a top feeder like the fat bee man. How do you control the ants that live with the hive. Two years ago I had large cutter ants that could eat the the screen wire over the #8 wire That I use to keep the shb out of the hives. Now I have small sugar ants and some type of tree roaches that love this top box.

Do you use boric acid to treat these three pests since the bees cannot get into the feeder box? I worry about a dead roach falling into the plastic container

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Our local Dollar Tree store has a plastic kitty litter pan that is close to the size of the hive. I have been able to control the beetle numbers with strong colonies, full sun, swiffer pads, and a piece of clear plastic sheeting under the wood inner cover. When I slowly remove the wooden cover, under the clear plastic I see the beetles on the top bars of the frames and I crush the beetles with my thumb. I do get too quick on the trigger and kill a bee occasionally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts