Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beekeepers,

We used the Beetle Blocker Shim with great success in the past, but, this year it doesn't seem to be working, even though we have sealed off every entrance other than the main one that is placed correctly under the shim.

We have checked them and they all look basically the same as when new, but, is it possible for them to lose effectiveness after a couple years of use?

Thank you for any advice you may have! The SHBs are very bad here on the Gulf Coast.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I have never used this product but it appears that the prevention is strictly mechanical, so it should not lose effectiveness. Have the bees put propolis around the holes that the beetles are using to navigate the lip?

·
Registered
456 Posts
You may just be experiencing a bad year for SHB, perhaps they are simply more this year than last year and some are bound to get through eventually. I had an extraordinarily abnormal warm winter this season where I live and the beetles are overwhelming even tried and true beetle control methods due to sheer numbers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much for your replies! I just messaged the inventor, Clark Taplin, and he suggested that we break down the hive and inspect the shim for any possible cracks in the wooden framing that might be allowing the beetles to get through. We will do that tomorrow and I will let you know what we find.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Akademee, we are 100 miles as the crow flies from each other. I am seeing just the opposite this year. Very few SHB so far. Two of my mentees and another beek that I am friends with have also noticed the same thing. Couple of years ago they were everywhere, was seeing 30-40 every time I popped a lid. Now, just one or two and they are usually inside the hive on comb.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have had lots of beetles in years past.Last year I didnt have near as many beetles and this year so far hardly any beetles.One yard has a very few and the yard with 50 some odd hives I saw only 3 Sunday.I will start putting in my traps as 3 can turn into hundreds pretty quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts