The problem, I think, with using a sticky coating is that if it extends anywhere near the entry points the stuck beetles will quickly clog up the entrance.
I expect that you could 'bait' them with some pollen sub/sugar water mix.
I had coated the inside of the beetle barns with this tacky material used to catch flies and placed two in each hive for a couple of days. I used some pollen substitute with some powdered sugar as bait. I observed a SHB walking through the sticky material and right out the other side of the BB where I then killed it. I also used a piece of cotton batting in the top of the hive bars but only had one beetle on it. There were 4 beetles trying to hide in the slots of the cover board. I was able to get them to come out by lifting off the cover and tapping on it.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to beekeeping, bee owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, honey production, health, behavior, hives, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!