Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, bees can and will collect beeswax :)

I left a lap for polishing made from pure beeswax outside yesterday and bees started collecting it and taking it into the hives....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those are really cool pictures! I’ve often wondered if they collect it. A couple weeks ago I left some small pieces of burr comb on the front “landing pad” and noticed it disappeared- wasn’t sure if it blew off or if they were re-using it.

I wonder if there is any chance of spreading disease through wax like there is from honey??

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a disk of wax (or other materials) and fine grit used to grind concave mirrors, usually for reflector telescopes.
Yep,

this is a lap for polishing. I find beeswax polishes the mirror very fast.

For grinding other materials are used such as ceramic tiles, glass, etc.... adding grit of course

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed when I took off the queen excluder and had it sitting on the back patio, one of the girls came and started collecting the propolis off of it and storing in in her pollen basket just like in the pictures.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that something you do? Make lenses for telescopes? Cool.
Yep, making mirrors(not lenses) for newtonian telescopes. It is a hobby of course :) and it is phenomenal that beeswax actually works. All of a sudden I can make a ton of polishing laps :) Usually mirrors are polished with gugolz and pitch but beeswax seems to be working well. I am still testing it.

I noticed when I took off the queen excluder and had it sitting on the back patio, one of the girls came and started collecting the propolis off of it and storing in in her pollen basket just like in the pictures.
They will collect propolis but collecting wax is really rare. I don't know if someone actually documented it ? ? ? Anyone ? It came as a surprise to me and to some beekeepers I talked. Collecting wax ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts