When I first started making candles they would crackle and splatter for a while then stop. I finally figured that it was water trapped in the wax from boiling the wax to clean it. The top of the candle is at the bottom of the mold where the water will settle. Once I raised my wax melt temperature up to about 225F, that would drive off the water and no more splatter. It did require a different heat method since you can't get the temp that high in a double boiler.
On the other hand some folks like a crackling candle. I bought some Woodwick wooden wicks from a craft store. In a conventional candle they burn nice and sound like a crackling fire and are quite popular. I'm curious to see how they work with beeswax.
Hi there, I had the same problem. Heating up to 225F does not damage the wax? (get it browner?). The sound of the candle is so annoying I have to blow out those noisy candles. Any way to make sure there is no water trapped in the wax while cleaning it? Thanks.
A forum community dedicated to beekeeping, bee owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, honey production, health, behavior, hives, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!