Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, that hive that was pictured in the previous article officially died. However, the aggressive hive that probably had less than 100 deaths at the front of the entrance all winter, has survived. I went to put the feeder in the hive this morning, and the bees were spanned nearly between each frame in the top box. I’m not sure if that’s ok, good, or great. It was definitely more than I expected. I got a nice view of a hundred stingers when I opened them up since it was only 30 degrees this morning. Does anyone think this hive will be able to be split and still get a honey crop from either hive? Mind you this was a medium box, not a deep.

Also, does the aggressiveness in the bees lead to better survival rates? Or is it more that they were bred with better mite resistance and hygienic genes than the other hive?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,388 Posts
I am not following your description.

the top box is medium or the only box is medium?

so what is the hive size?
All at the top can be a concern, how much honey is left?

GG

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not following your description.

the top box is medium or the only box is medium?

so what is the hive size?
All at the top can be a concern, how much honey is left?

GG
Sorry, probably should’ve included that, I’ve got a ten-frame three medium box hive setup. Also, I figured by this time they are supposed to be close to the top. Since dandelion should be coming in the next few weeks or so, I’m not too worried. I started feeding them this morning.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd add another medium super and let them build out some comb. zit might prevent an early swarm and make a split easier to balance resources with 4 mediums. I don't think opening the hive at 30 degrees is really a good idea unless that's foreign-grade. The 30 degrees foreign-grade would be Ok.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd add another medium super and let them build out some comb. zit might prevent an early swarm and make a split easier to balance resources with 4 mediums. I don't think opening the hive at 30 degrees is really a good idea unless that's foreign-grade. The 30 degrees foreign-grade would be Ok.
I only had it open for ten seconds to put the inner cover underneath the rim board to put my hive top feeder in. I didn’t pull anything out of the hive. Also, would they be building comb at this time? The next week is only supposed to be mid 40s, and nothing is in bloom yet.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Long and short of it that the bees need three things to build comb-population, food (flow) and temperature, if any of that's missing, forget it. There are plenty of other nuances but that's it in a nutshell. I'm in the same boat, it hit 75 F here today and I want to build out some deep foundations of 5 double deep, chock full of bees. I was guided by more experienced beeks here to sit on my hand for a few more weeks-snow predicted and I'd risk brood and population by adding another (third) deep. Patience, spring is just weeks away, there plenty of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.