Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled honey supers two weeks ago. Last week I dropped the empties back in. All the while the bees weren't too distracted by me. Yesterday I pulled the cover and blew a whiff of smoke near the top of the inner cover. The bees went nuts and started attempting to sting me and the smoker. I soldiered through and pulled a few of previously extracted super frames. Since returning the frames the bees have started to refill them. If they are bringing in nectar and pollen, and were docile when I got in there mid last week, what gives? Temps are steady in the 80s, it wasn't raining, and it was later in the day. 2 of my remaining 3 hives were also agitated. I don't remember my bees getting this fussy until Sept or later last year. Northeast Ohio and we have golden rod starting to open up as I type this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Any chance you have robbing pressure between/from other hives?

Do you have anything bother the hives at night like skunks or racoon?

What was the weather like when you inspected? What time did you inspect? If a lot of the forgers are in the hive (before/after a storm, rain, evening) the hive will be grumpier because forgers have a worse temperament than nurse bees. During the day with good weather the forgers are out forging and not in the hive.

It sounds like you still have a flow going on so that was probably not the cause.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any chance you have robbing pressure between/from other hives?

Do you have anything bother the hives at night like skunks or racoon?

What was the weather like when you inspected? What time did you inspect? If a lot of the forgers are in the hive (before/after a storm, rain, evening) the hive will be grumpier because forgers have a worse temperament than nurse bees. During the day with good weather the forgers are out forging and not in the hive.

It sounds like you still have a flow going on so that was probably not the cause.
I checked them in late afternoon, early evening. Probably around 630-7pm. It had rained earlier in the day, but it rained around 2-3pm. I have not noticed any disturbances near the hives due to animal activity. I am going to try to get in there again tomorrow for inspection and possibly OAV treatment after I inspect. Hope things go better this time around! Thanks for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts